The Environmental Assessment and Engineering Group at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is seeking a candidate to provide impactful contributions to the development and evaluation of scientific and engineered solutions to subsurface characterization and remediation; renewable energy systems (such as geothermal); and radionuclide detection in subsurface matrices. The successful candidate will have a combination of experience and knowledge in basic field engineering and applied environmental science, and be capable of developing and implementing projects related to system design, testing, and evaluation of prototypic sensors and instrumentation used in both surface and subsurface environments; expertise in data acquisition and system programming; and translation of laboratory and/or process simulation results to field-scale applications. The successful candidate will be comfortable working with a diverse set of research staff and project tasks, and possess the appropriate analytic, task management, and communication skills (both oral and written) to clearly articulate the objectives and outcomes of their research.
The incumbent will work as a Principal Investigator (PI), or Co-PI under the guidance of senior scientists and engineers, and will be responsible for performing the following technical tasks with the level of quality, timeliness, and cost, to meet required project and client expectations:
• Lead experiments, design evaluations, or development of scientific and engineered solutions to assess or solve a variety of technical problems.
• Lead portions of technical proposals, project reports, scientific and technical products, and journal papers as requested.
• Assist with the development of new capabilities within the group.
In addition to high-quality support for clients (both internal and external), a critical part of the position is the ability to quickly and effectively develop and demonstrate skills and abilities that will lead to growth in responsibilities and career progression.
The incumbent will be accountable to:
• Project and/or Task Managers for performing assigned roles, following applicable project, field, and laboratory procedures, and performance of assigned tasks on time and within budget.
• The Environmental Assessment and Engineering Group Manager for general staff performance and development, operational discipline (e.g., maintaining training qualifications, procedural compliance, safe operations), and project execution.
• BS/BA with 2 years of experience
• MS/MA with 0 years of experience
• PhD with 0 years of experience
Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated knowledge and professional experience in the following areas:
• Demonstrated experience with engineered systems used for geophysical/borehole characterization and analysis.
• Mechanical aptitude and hands-on familiarity with field deployed equipment, systems, and processes.
• Field-based sample collection and analysis.
• Commitment to field and laboratory safe conduct of operations.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com