Location: Oakland, CA with flexible work time available
Context: Assists outings volunteer with routine administrative duties in order to maintain the smooth functioning of the program(s). Other duties include assisting staff update and maintain internal websites and systems.
Scope: The Administrative Assistant works with the Outings staff and volunteers to perform ongoing administrative tasks to ensure volunteer compliance with Sierra Club policies. The incumbent maintains and update website content and systems of filing, accounting, data management and insurance reporting. Helps with special projects.
Job Activities for Sierra Club Outdoors (Inspiring Connections Outdoors and Military Outdoors) (60%):
- Receives requests for program information and responds to inquiries from the public and the SCO constituency. Mails supplies, duplicates materials, and gathers information in a timely manner.
- Processes, tracks, and distributes quarterly insurance reports. Prepares annual insurance audit.
- Relays policies, insurance, and risk management information to leaders including processing background check reports.
- Works with the Sierra Club Foundation and Sierra Club Finance Department to process donations, advances, expenses reports, and reimbursements.
- Working with National Outings and ICO volunteers to coordinate annual service trips.
- Maintain SCO volunteer files and databases.
- Transfer and maintain SCO pages on the Sierra Club’s internal website.
Other Job Activities (40%):
- Transfer other outings program pages to the Sierra Club’s internal website. Help keep these pages up to date as need.
- Assist local outings leaders to maintain LEADERS database and use Campfire Events and community.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proficiency with word-processing and spreadsheets (Microsoft & Google Suite) and basic database management
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to details
- General record keeping or accounting knowledge
- Ability to interact well with the public and volunteers on the telephone and email
- 1 year general office experience
- Knowledge and/or experience with non-profit organization and volunteers
- Understanding and/or experience working with populations traditionally under-represented in the outdoors and in environmental organizations
- Interest in social justice
- Committed to applying the Jemez Principles for Democratic Organizing in their work
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com