Context: Builds grassroots power, by leading the implementation of organizing campaigns that will increase the number of people involved, leaders trained, and engagement of people with influence to achieve Sierra Club’s conservation, environmental and social justice, diversity, equity and inclusion goals. Ensures that community partners see Sierra Club as a respectful and reciprocal partner for justice and a vibrant element of the movement for a more equitable and sustainable world. Carries out organizing strategies and activities for assigned campaign or programs.
Works with Associate Director of Environmental Justice and Community Partnerships program to plan, organize and coordinate the Healthy Communities program and Restorative Justice Pilot Projects in Detroit.
Scope: The Associate Organizing Representative is responsible for recruiting, engaging, and motivating people which will further Sierra Club’s Healthy Communities program. This person must have a working understanding of environmental justice and the ability to coordinate issues of EJ and social justice. Prioritizes working alongside underserved or historically underrepresented groups. Identifies and develops volunteers to take on the role of team leaders and build grassroots power and networks. Identifies and builds alliances with other organizations which can influence decision-makers.
The Associate Organizing Representative coordinates a broad, volunteer‑based citizen education effort on air quality, energy, water, transportation and environmental justice issues throughout Michigan. Collaborates in development of organizing campaign or program strategy and implementation, including developing strong grassroots networks and strengthening existing networks. Works closely with Environmental Justice and Community Partnership (EJCP) program, the Labor Program, Clean Energy for All staff, Communications, Organizing, Digital as well as chapter staff, volunteers and EJ allies to assure organizing plans carry out campaign priorities.
- Works independently or with staff to develop strong Sierra Club presence in Michigan on campaign and programs by continuing the EJCP and Healthy Communities project work. Collaborates in developing organizing campaign or program strategies.
- Coordinates the identification, recruitment and organizing of volunteers both in Sierra Club and other groups around priority campaign. Seeks opportunities to advance the Sierra Club’s diversity initiatives through new partnerships and engagement strategies where appropriate.
- Engages people and develops volunteer leadership in both social and environmental advocacy activities that will create strong environmental communities and build power at the community, state, and national level. While doing so entering and exiting communities with intention and integrity consistent with the Jemez and EJ Principles.
- Develops and implements a variety of engagement strategies including on-line and face-to-face social networks to support Sierra Club programs.
- Brings EJ, economic justice and social justice stakeholders together and connect them to the broader campaigns and program work.
- Represents Sierra Club to the public and in the media, including developing public education and media strategy.
- Develops positive working relationships with existing coalitions on campaign issues; works to build and sustain issue coalitions.
- Develops working relationships with relevant state government, agency and Public Service Commission staff.
- Supports EJ and frontline communities and volunteers who will build grassroots power and networks. Helps those leaders succeed by supporting training and coaching.
- Provides information, research, and other assistance to Sierra Club leaders, the public and others about the campaigns and priority issues. Provides support to other internal departments for campaign synergy.
- Works with communications and Digital Departments in the implementation of media and public outreach communications.
- Supports coalition building and cultivates relationships with public officials.
- Coordinates preparation of special reports and other publications and alerts.
- Attends various issue committee and state conservation meetings, when necessary.
- Coordinates and measures success of activities with manager and campaign or program leads to ensure progress towards the campaign or program's mission and goals.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
- Seasonal Activities: Heavier seasonal workloads may occur as a result of project deadlines, staff absences and vacancies, and during peak activity periods. Frequent weekend and/or evening work required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- B.A./B.S. degree in Environmental Studies, Political Science or a closely related field or equivalent life experience.
- One plus years’ experience in the environmental field that includes research and organizing campaigns, press relations and public speaking.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Prior experience and ability writing training and information materials.
- Prior experience and knowledge of either the legislative or administrative processes.
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with EJ communities, grassroots leaders and volunteers.
- Requires some travel.
- Valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required. Background check will be required upon job acceptance.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Progressive Workers Union.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 5 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com