Are you a GIS professional looking to work for a nationally-accredited public works organization serving over a million people in the DC metropolitan area? Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services (DPWES) may be a good fit for you. DPWES is seeking dynamic candidates for its GIS Analyst I position. Candidates will be well versed in the esri desktop products to edit, manage, display, and analyze versioned enterprise GIS data. Candidates will also have interest and experience in automating tasks and leveraging web GIS technologies. Come grow your GIS career with a team of dedicated GIS and public works professionals.
- Produces high quality cartographic maps;
- Reviews data created by GIS Techs to ensure quality;
- Evaluates and recommend GIS software;
- Performs basic GIS analysis (e.g., buffering);
- Assists higher level analysts in defining GIS needs/requirements;
- Provide basic technical support for GIS COTS and in house applications;
- Attends meetings and conferences related to GIS;
- Updates/assists with GIS content on internet/intranet site;
- Troubleshoots standard GIS hardware issues( plotters, GPS, etc);
- Assigns data keys for geographic layers;
- Interprets and validates source documents for GIS data entry;
- Performs updates to tabular data;
- Demonstrates GIS applications;
- Assists users in evaluating and recommending GIS software for specialized applications;
- Performs acceptance tests for new software products;
- Maintains designated GIS data layers;
- Recommends database enhancements for GIS data layers;
- Assists GIS developers (GIS Spatial Analysts II, III, & IV) in designing and testing GIS applications;
- Serves as liaison between users and vendor technical support staff on basic GIS issues;
- Writes and develops training materials and manuals with assistance from higher level analysts;
- Provides training to County employees in GIS and GIS specific applications;
- Teaches basic level GIS classes;
- Assists in GIS spatial analysis;
- Performs any of the illustrative duties in support of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and methods related to GIS;
- Knowledge of functional requirements for GIS hardware and software;
- Knowledge of County standard GIS software;
- Knowledge of techniques for spatial analysis, geocoding, etc;
- Knowledge of principles, practices and methods related to cartography.
- Ability to document system modifications and enhancements;
- Ability to translate technical terminology into terms understandable to management and employees;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective business relationships;
- Ability to write and present GIS materials;
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to bachelor's degree in computer science, geography or related field; plus course work in ArcView GIS or similar GIS software.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Bachelor's degree in GIS, geography, land surveying, engineering, or related field
- 2 years of professional GIS experience editing and cartographically communicating enterprise GIS data using esri desktop products (i.e., ArcMap and / or ArcGIS Pro)
- Experience with public works-related GIS data and workflows (e.g., stormwater, wastewater, solid waste, urban forestry, capital improvement projects, etc.)
- Experience reviewing engineering plans and land records and transferring information into GIS using standard coordinate geometry (COGO) tools in esri desktop products
- Experience in automating workflows through esri model building and python scripting
- Experience leveraging esri web GIS technologies
Ability to operate a personal computer and conduct field review. Duties are generally sedentary and are performed in an office environment. Manual dexterity to operate office equipment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com