Dates of Employment: February 4 – August 16, 2019
Aullwood Audubon is an education center and farm located in Dayton, Ohio. Our 200-acre sanctuary includes six miles of walking trails winding through prairie, woods, ponds, sustainable farmland and meadows and provides outstanding learning opportunities in a diverse and beautiful setting. Education interns learn from experts in the field of conservation education while gaining exposure to education techniques. Internships have been a part of our program since 1967.
Education interns typically work 35 hours per week and are paid an hourly wage. Duties primarily take place on weekdays and on alternating weekends and evenings. Interns receive orientation and training and supervision.
During the internship interns will:
- Learn how to and effectively plan, implement and teach youth on school field trips, mainly pre-school to middle school ages. There may also be occasions interns teach high school and adults groups. Teaching topics may include birds, reptiles, general nature exploration, farm discovery, geology and fossils, maple syrup, food webs and exploration of different communities. Activities during the field trips may include interpretation of nature and farm communities, nature hikes, pond or creek studies, animal interpretation, and more.
- Learn how to develop lesson plans and teach Summer Earth Adventures classes (day camps) for children age 2 years old through 7th grade with a focus on natural history and farming. Activities may include nature hikes, pond/creek exploration, farm chores, working with animals and gardening.
- Receive training to care for the resident animals that live at the Nature Center taking care of raptors, turtles, fish, snakes, etc.
- Be trained to perform chores at the Farm taking care of chickens, pigs, goats, cows, etc.
- Assist with special events such as the Pancake Brunch, Native Plant Sale, Farm Babies Festival and other special events as assigned.
- Learn how to greet visitors, take admission for Aullwood property, answer phone calls and operate the front desk as the weekend Naturalist.
- Assist with various assigned projects throughout the internship.
- Help support day to day operations of Aullwood Audubon.
- Reside in on-site housing provided by Audubon.
Skills and Knowledge Gained:
- Experience teaching and public speaking to groups of all ages.
- Opportunity to make connections with environmental professionals.
- Ohio natural history.
- Opportunity to attend Aullwood programs and day trips.
- Independent planning and execution of specific tasks.
- Animal husbandry of different domestic animals and their uses.
Qualifications and Experience
- Have completed freshman year of college majoring in natural sciences, biology, environmental education, natural history, elementary education or a related field.
- Experience teaching and working with children is preferred.
- Excellent ability to communicate and interact with the general public.
- Must be able to sit, stand, kneel, stoop, grab and reach on uneven work surfaces for extended periods of time.
- Ability to transport oneself by foot over a variety of terrain that may be wet, slippery uneven or rocky.
- Be eager to learn and share knowledge.
- Have exceptional interpersonal and academic skills.
- Be self-motivated, able to follow directions and work independently.
- Capable of regular lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs. for short periods of time.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Be able to work with different types of large and small animals.
- Interns are required to reside in on-site housing provided by Audubon as a condition of employment. Interns are sometimes given responsibilities outside of a 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. workday and living on-site will contribute to an overall experience and understanding of the daily requirements of running a nature center and farm. Each intern has their own bedroom and a shared living room, kitchen, dining room and bathroom. Interns are not charged rent to live in the intern house and utilities are covered by Aullwood. The intern house is fully furnished and located by the Nature Center.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com