The Dow Chemical Company has an exciting opportunity or an Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) Specialist, located in Midland, Michigan. This position shares with the EH&S Leader, the responsibility for implementation of the EH&S management system (work processes, standard, procedures) in order to add value to the business, to meet business objectives and to maintain the license to operate. This job may be applied within a specific unit or may be leveraged across multiple units within a site or hub.
- Implement global EH&S management systems (work processes, standard, procedures)
- Act as the focal point for a site, hub or business for specific EH&S discipline (i.e. Environmental, IH, Personal Safety, Process Safety etc.)
- Participate in and provide data for EH&S audits.
- Coordinate, implement and optimize EH&S programs for across the site, hub or within specific facilities and businesses
- Participate in incident investigations and corrective action process.
- Initiate and support Management of Change (MOC) for EH&S matters as necessary.
- Perform Requirements Management Work Process (RMWP) roles as needed for site-specific issues
- Identify opportunities to streamline EH&S resources and work processes.
- Manage air, water and waste permits. This includes submittal of permit applications for new and modified equipment, requests for permit changes and submittal of permit renewal applications to ensure continuous license to operate.
- Collect, input and calculate EH&S reporting information.
- Manage submittal of all permit and regulatory required agency reports.
- Maintain all EH&S records in accordance with the company record retention policy.
- Utilize EH&S Expertise to obtain clear interpretations of site-specific regulatory process, regulations, laws and associated procedures.
- Act as Agency Visit Protocol Owner and implementer.
- Able to identify and keep current with local, area and regional environmental requirements that are not supported by global regulatory affairs. Interpret, implement and ensure full sustainable compliance with those external requirements.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree is required.
- A minimum of 5-10 years of Manufacturing and Engineering or Environmental, Health & Safety Industry experience is required.
- A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
- Can describe, implement and perform the EH&S work process, it's sub processes, standards and procedures
- Can perform the Auditor role
- Can identify incident reduction issues and performance improvement measures needed to resolve issues
- Must have a basic understanding of the Health and Safety standards as all Dow employees are EH&S Leaders and must be able to perform field observations and interactions in order to ensure conformance with safety requirements, rules and risk reduction best practices.
- Project execution capability at the green belt level
- Can implement incident reduction and preventative actions
- Can perform the root cause investigation (RCI) team leader/ member roles
- Working knowledge of the corrective action process and coach others on it
- Is able to access and use the Event & Action tool to input data and pull reports and constantly monitor the application and progress of it
- Can access the Event & Action tool to input data and pull reports and monitor its application
- Can initiate institution of corrective actions to improve system performance and is able to monitor and validate the implementation
- Can describe and utilize the management of change (MOC) process
- Can perform the Requirements Management Work Process (RMWP) Implementer role
- Is able to negotiate resources in cooperation with global and site resource leaders
- Can perform EH&S focal point roles, as assigned
- Can describe the Global EH&S organization
- Can identify, access and effectively utilize EH&S Subject Matter Experts for obtaining interpretations of site-specific regulatory requirements, regulations, laws and associated procedures
- Can coach others on the EH&S area for which they are the focal point
- Need to understand Global Incident Reporting Database (GIRD), specific government reporting requirements, Process and Performance Measures Work Process (PPMWP)
- Detail oriented and analytical with a discerning eye for value added opportunities
- Must be comfortable and competent at interfacing with external governmental agencies
- Must be able to perform field observations and interactions on all employees and contractors that result in positive sustainable behavior change in field execution
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com