Context: Organizes and implements campaigns and initiatives focused on environmental issues that Sierra Club California is engaged in at the legislature and regulatory agencies. Assists with other campaigns as needed.
Scope: Under direction of the Chapter Director, helps achieve Sierra Club California’s approved conservation programmatic objectives. Participates in planning policy efforts, develops and maintains government and political contacts, tracks regulations and legislation, makes strategic recommendations to achieve conservation objectives, engages in outreach to diverse communities and allies, including through social media.
- Tracks, monitors, analyzes, and evaluates regulations, laws, initiatives and new developments on a range of environmental issues.
- Evaluates proposed legislation and regulations to determine possible effects to the environment and makes recommendations for strategic lobbying and legislative efforts.
- Advocates the Sierra Club position on proposed legislation and regulations; informs and communicates with elected officials, business leaders, governmental agencies, and other non‑profit organizations. Confers with legislators and officials to influence the passage of bills or measures favorable to Sierra Club’s interests. Confers with regulatory agencies to influence administrative rules and regulations and other actions that are non-legislative in nature.
- Plans, develops and implements campaign strategies for assigned regulatory programs and legislative objectives and projects in accordance with the chapter policy.
- Works with staff and volunteer leaders to recruit, coordinate, and facilitate grassroots involvement in regulatory and legislative campaigns.
- Makes presentations to community, political, and governmental bodies regarding state environmental legislation and regulation.
- Contributes to press releases, newsletters, flyers, social media, etc. to keep Sierra Club membership and the general public informed.
- Conducts research needed to achieve objectives of legislative and regulatory campaigns.
- Works closely with the Chapter Director, Communications Associate, and other staff to ensure that the message of Sierra Club is accurately and favorably represented to the media, including in Spanish-language press.
- Engages in outreach to diverse allies and communities to help develop a stronger base of support for Sierra Club California positions. Participates in key coalitions on behalf of Sierra Club California.
- Stays abreast of latest news, particularly in issue areas of responsibility.
- Helps recruit and work with interns as needed.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills:
- BA/BS degree in Environmental Studies, Political Science or another field that requires critical thinking, substantial writing, and analysis. Master in Public Policy or Law degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of work experience that includes research, organizing campaigns, press relations, advocacy and public speaking.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers, regulatory agencies, and public officials.
- Valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 5 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) organization. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com