About this Job: The overall purpose of the job is to act as primary HSE (Health, Safety, Environment) advisor / liaison for the various business units at the Greensboro. Ensure compliance with federal, state and local HSE regulations and Syngenta policies and standards. Responsible for all aspects of HSE program development, implementation and improvement. Add expertise and collaborate with the greater Syngenta HSE community.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure site compliance with federal, state and local HSE regulations and Syngenta policies and standards in a complex site housing office, laboratory, and pilot plant operations.
- Coordinate the site Emergency Management Team, train the site spill team, and manage the site Greensboro HSES Integrated Contingency and Emergency Action Plan.
- Serve as site coordinator for the NC Department of Labor (DOL) Carolina Star Program and serve as an external Special Star Team Member (SSTM) in support of statewide program.
- Own the development, implementation, maintenance and improvement of a comprehensive HSE program and related management systems for the site.
- Coordinate and risk assess projects impacting HSE, e.g., management of change (i.e. experiments, process improvements, etc.), new construction, and other initiatives.
- Primary point of contact with North America (NA) HSE Regional experts.
- Compile and submit all required regulatory reports including Tier II, Bi-Annual Waste Report, Semi-Annual Air Permit, SERAM reporting.
- Lead, influence and own all HSE Site Inspections (regulatory or otherwise) through action plan closure.
- Communicate significant HSE risks/impacts to the business, and oversee action item closure.
- Provide HSE related guidance and training for all employees, 3rd party contract employees, trade contractors and visitors. Drive HSE awareness techniques, including safety meetings/committees and safety alerts; enhance employee engagement.
- Serve as site environmental expert (Hazardous waste, Air Permit, etc.).
- Ensure required Industrial Hygiene (IH) monitoring for the site is completed as required including but not limited to, respiratory fit testing, flex hood monitoring, and ergonomics assessments.
- Develop, improve and maintain site HSE Intranet information, databases and pertinent records, and other database entry as needed.
- Participate on site incident investigations and lead HSE communications regarding incident learning’s.
- Participate on cross-functional teams, partner with peers and support all HSE network-wide initiatives.
- Assist Management and Facilities as required in all areas of operations as it relates to HSE principles, including operational and capital budgets.
- Maintain a strong presence onsite through site walk-throughs, inspections, etc.
- Assist Regional HSE with project implementation and site audits and serve as site regulatory audit contact.
- Provide guidance and attend meetings with community organizations and professional development groups (i.e., LEPC, NCMA, CAPCA, ASSP).
- Manage operational aspects of the site security program.
- A four-year technical degree required.
- A minimum of three years of HSE auditing/management experience
- Course work in safety or environmental issues preferred.
- Knowledge of HSE (Health, Safety, Environment) regulations, e.g. OSHA, NFPA, EPA, DOT.
- Ability to interpret legislation as it applies to agri-business.
- Ability to organize and conduct a site HSE audit, conduct risk analysis of HSE issues.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, Traits & Abilities:
- Application of HSE experience and OSHA/EPA regulations to Syngenta systems/organization.
- Ability to identify potential risks and safety issues throughout the site & during design reviews.
- Ability to work with a variety of people and develop a strong HSE culture.
- Ability to create and communicate through networks, newsletters, safety bulletins and the intranet.
- Ability to conduct thorough HSE audits and inspections.
- Ability to communicate HSE information throughout organization and present key metrics to senior managers.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds to waist.
- Ability to carry 50 pounds for a short distance.
- Must be able to walk long distances and stand on their feet for long periods of time.
- Must be able to climb multiple flights of stairs.
- Must be able to climb ladders and work at heights.
- Must pass a medical clearance to wear a respirator.
- Must pass a physical for a hazardous materials worker.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com