You will be responsible for providing technical guidance concerning all Federal-aid Highway Program environmental programs, activities, and analyses within a State or, as a shared resource in multiple States.
Learn more about this agency
As an Environmental Protection Specialist, you will:
- Represent the Division Office and serve as a technical advisor on FHWA policy, laws, regulations, Executive Orders, and directives related to NEPA and FHWA’s project development process.
- Advise FHWA stakeholders and Federal and State partner agencies on Federal responsibilities and the requirements of NEPA, the Council on Environmental Quality regulations (40 CFR 1500-1508), and FHWA regulations, policies, and guidance.
- Ensure environmental laws are addressed and integrated into the NEPA decision-making process.
- Provide feedback on environmental documents and studies.
- Collaborate with and advises stakeholders of special environmental concerns such as those related to context sensitivity, environmental justice, community impact assessments, wetlands, cultural resources, Section 4(f), biological resources, ecosystems, hazardous wastes and brownfields, greenhouse gas emissions, project level air quality conformity and global climate change, and highway traffic noise.
- Assist with the conduct of field reviews to resolve complex environmental issues/problems and provides technical assistance to the Division Office’s transportation customers
- Review and/or coordinates the review of NEPA documents and other environmental documentation within the Division Office to ensure compliance with requirements.
- Provide technical assistance to resolve program and project-specific issues.
- Conduct program and process reviews of Federal-aid projects to ensure that Federal requirements and environmental commitments are achieved.
Ideal candidate: The ideal candidate is an entry level to mid-career employee with experience implementing the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and/or other environmental laws, regulations, or policy
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com