2 vacancies in the following locations:
This position is part of the Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery. As a Biological Science you will participate in multiple activities to support the conservation, restoration, and protection of fish habitats.
Learn more about this agency
At the GS-07 full performance level, you will perform a full range of assignments in support of professional biologists to conserve, enhance, and protect fish and aquatic species and their habitats. Your major duties will include:
- Assist in planning and carrying out hatchery data collection on hatchery populations to study health and propagation methods.
- Operate specialized aquaculture equipment such as gates, pumps, valves, filters, alarms, and other support systems to maintain fish health.
- Assist hatchery crew in providing daily care to fish in an aquaculture facility. Performs general maintenance required for fish hatchery upkeep and maintenance including using simple hand tools or power equipment, landscaping tools (grass mowers, shrub trimmers, etc.), and other tools for minor repairs on hatchery equipment.
- Assist in planning multifaceted fisheries studies by contributing ideas, determining research methods, establishing practical procedures for accomplishing and reporting the work and determining other needs, such as costs, equipment and personnel.
- Uses specialized techniques and methods to collect biological and physical environment data and reports findings.
- Collects biological samples ensuring correct documentation, reporting, storage, transport and delivery of samples taken.
- Develops and uses automated databases to enter, organize and perform preliminary analysis of collected field data.
- Prepares segments of recurring reports such as monthly activities and progress reports on individual projects.
If selected at the GS-5 or GS-6 grade level, you will perform the same kind of duties as described above but under closer supervision, and training will be provided for progression towards the full performance level.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com