Wilmington and Raleigh, NC
Context: Works with regional staff and chapter/ group volunteers to organize support for grassroots political campaign. Works with appropriate staff to recruit activists, organizes outreach events, skills training and GOTV. Mobilizes all Sierra Club members in (the assigned region) to vote, and educates the environmental community on local and regional conservation issue.
Scope: The Political Organizer plans, organizes and implements the campaign. Conducts mass mailings, voter registration, phone banking, and activist recruitment among Sierra Club members. Regularly works outside of the office and without direct supervision to communicate with Sierra Club members. Works with professional staff in editing, writing, researching, and coordinating functions.
- Identifies, recruits, and organizes Sierra Club leaders to mobilize members to vote.
- Works with others to devise strategy and recommends plan to reach out to Sierra Club members with conservation message around issues.
- Administers VAN to complied and track an up to date and accurate voter file of the Sierra Club members in the assigned regions.
- Updates VAN database with information on Sierra Club members, leads canvass days, phone banking drives and conducts mailings when necessary.
- Travels to organize grassroots events and to meet with targeted media, allies, or elected officials.
- Holds meetings among Sierra Club members in strategic communities to recruit and train for the political campaign.
- Motivates members to become activists in Sierra Club Groups by advancing our environmental policy agenda among Sierra Club members.
- Serves as a liaison between the Chapter Political Committee and national political volunteers and staff.
- Cultivates a legacy of environmental activism in (the assigned region) after the 2018 election.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledgeable with environmental issues in (the assigned region).
- One to two years campaign organizing experience
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrated skills in writing and production of newsletters. Good verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively and effectively with public, staff and volunteers.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com