The Environmental & Sustainability Lead ensures Salt Group compliance with all applicable environmental practices and standards. Using an in-depth understanding of environmental & sustainability regulations and processes, they create a strategy for Environmental & Sustainability aligned with the overall Business Operations and Supply Chain (BOSC) vision, and work with internal and external resources to ensure compliance with standards held by the Salt Group, Cargill, Inc. and legal entities. The Environmental & Sustainability Lead will collaborate with Salt Group leaders to communicate strategy and ensure awareness and understanding of expectations and industry best practices. This position plays a critical role in Cargill working to eliminate non-compliance incidents and build a strong sustainability brand for the Salt Group.
This position may be located in our Hopkins, MN office, near a Cargill facility, or remote work arrangement may also be considered.
Principal Accountabilities20% Strategy & Vision:
- Leads and develops the Environmental & Sustainability vision, goals, and long-term strategic direction with the BOSC Leader and other corporate resources
- Provides advice and counsel on environmental and sustainability issues to BOSC Leader and other Salt group leadership
- Ensures the Salt Group’s environmental compliance through strategic planning, regulatory knowledge and negotiations as warranted
- Promotes environmental and sustainability best practices and ensures alignment across functions
60% Operational Performance Execution:
- Remains current with environmental legislation, directives and new regulatory information relevant to the Salt business.
- Coordinates with corporate EHS leaders to develop an environmental risk management strategy and ensure implementation across Salt Group plants and mines
- Works with government, public, corporate, and regulatory agencies to ensure standards lead to environmental compliance / competitive advantage
- Sets direction for the development, standardization, and successful implementation of all environmental programs across locations. Ensures governance and audits identify risk, provide for corrective action, and prevent organizational drift.
- Ensures documentation of environmental impacts to the business - deploys teams to support hazard clean-up and risk elimination activities
- Identify potential external pressures impacting environmental and sustainability goals
- Ensures compliance and adherance to the Salt Group, Cargill, Inc. and legal standards
- Participates in professional and internal organizations that align with Salt Group environmental and sustainability goals
- Negotiates approvals and permits with regulatory agencies to maintain Salt Group compliance
- Build sustainability practices that create a competitive business advantage in the industry and / or creates brand value for Cargill Salt / Cargill Inc.
- Drive continuous improvement in practices and approaches that serve to eliminate or significantly reduce risk
- Coordinates with the BOSC Leader to ensure all of the Salt Group’s EHS communications needs are being met
- Partner with commercial teams to ensure customer sutainability objectives are met and that benefits and value are captured for the Salt Group’s customers.
- Ensure coordination/knowledge sharing with other Cargill businesses and the BOSC sustainability hub.
20% People Management:
- Provides employees with a work environment that is open and conducive to high performance, personal development and career growth and exemplifies the Salt Group cultural attributes
- Work with direct reports to ensure robust development plans are in place and assess performance based on these plans
- Provide ongoing feedback and coaching
- Oversees recruitment, coaching, and development of the team, including building leadership and technical capabilities
- Drives a culture that supports deliberate, data-driven performance, “blue sky” thinking, and anticipatory execution
- Promotes communication, teaming, coordination, and collaboration across the Salt Group
- 10 years of business experience
- 10 years of environmental business industry experience.
- Bachelor’s of Science Degree in engineering, industrial or environmental sciences
- Proven track record of developing leadership and technical capabilities in others and building successors for the future
- Strong multi-media perspective of environmental compliance, rulemaking procedures and environmental control technologies.
- Ability to lead teams, motivate people, drive accountability and achieve results
- Prior experience developing business or function strategies
- Systems thinking, ability to envison end-to-end processes end and identify interdependencies
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, meet commitments and make decisions that impact business results
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and attention to detail
- Agility to adapt to changing business requirements and market opportunities and be an active change leader
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Natural Resources/Sustainability Programs experience (Energy Efficiency, Green House Gas, Water Conservation)
- OSHA/ EMSHA experience
- Experience in a variety of different industries
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com