Executive Director Position Description
Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER) is a national, nonprofit service organization assisting federal, state, local and tribal professionals - scientists, attorneys, land managers, rangers and other specialists - dedicated to upholding environmental laws and values. PEER protects those who protect our environment.
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic direction of the organization, and its fundraising. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Governance: Works with board to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for leading PEER in a manner that supports the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing timely and accurate information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, communications, and outreach.
3) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising, donor development, and developing other resources necessary to support PEER’s mission.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
4) Organization Operations. Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for effective administration of PEER’s operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for recruitment of and support for Board members.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- A bachelor’s degree, law and/or graduate degree preferred
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of PEER’s strategic future to staff, board, and donors
- Knowledge of effective fundraising strategies and donor relations in the nonprofit sector
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic planning and implementation.
- Oversee fundraising, marketing and other communications efforts.
- Supervise execution of employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions in the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors.
- Supervise and collaborate with organization staff.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
To Apply: Send cover letter (including salary expectations), resume, and writing sample by 11/16/2018 to: Executive Director Search, PEER, 962 Wayne Avenue, Suite 610, Silver Spring, MD 20910 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Executive Director Search.” No calls, please.
PEER is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity and strongly encourage women and minority candidates to apply.