SASB Research Analysts are liaisons between the SASB and issuers, investors, and other stakeholders associated with their sector.Research Analysts leverage these contacts, their own sector experience and research, and relationships with their Sector Advisory Group and the Standards Board to identify and evaluate emerging sustainability topics to be an expert on the intersection of sustainability issues and financial drivers.
REPORTS TO: Deputy Director of Research
Areas of Responsibility
SASB’s work is fast-paced and, while the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
Research & Analysis
- Research Financial Materiality: Ensure that evidence of financial materiality underlying each industry-specific sustainability topic in the standards is sufficient to warrant a standard for disclosure, that evidence is updated to reflect evolution or emergence of sustainability topics, and that evidence is documented.
- Research Decision-usefulness and Cost-effectiveness of Metrics: Work closely with the Deputy Director of Research to ensure that accounting metrics and technical protocols in the standards remain up to date, reflect measurement best practices, are decision-useful and cost-effective, and adhere to the requirements listed in the Conceptual Framework.
- Develop Metrics: Work with the Technical Director and outside organizations including NGOs, industry associations, government agencies and universities to identify metrics which effectively communicate performance on the topics included in the SASB Standards.
- Analytics: Work with the Deputy Director of Research to complete illustrative analysis of integration of SASB standards in traditional financial analysis, including the maintenance of SASB data tables as well as the development of fundamental (DCF) and comparative (ratio) analysis. Develop expert knowledge of financial value drivers, performance data on SASB standards, and run analytics on the interaction between sustainability and financial performance.
- Codify, Update and Interpret the Standards: Work closely with the Deputy Director of Research to ensure that due process is followed for proposed changes to the SASB standards during the standards codification or update process, in accordance with the SASB Rules of Procedure.
- State of Disclosure: Understand the disclosures of major industry players, identify leaders and laggards, and review what companies are discussing in their regulatory and other reports. Maintain knowledge of the current state of disclosure in each industry in the sector for each topic and metric.
- Cross-cutting: Participate in, or lead, a cross-cutting team for a sustainability issue which applies across multiple industries, including those in your sector. Work with the Technical Director to identify and develop industry-specific metrics, leveraging credible third-party organizations when possible. Participate in, or lead, the development and update of cross-cutting white papers and other publications.
- Community of Practice: Work collaboratively with the Research Team to develop and share best practices within the Team and across the organization on industry-specific aspects of stakeholder consultation, research and standards development. Proactively engage with other SASB departments and groups to maximize collaboration in the interest of developing high quality and widely accepted standards.
Consultation & Adoption
- Stakeholder Development: Develop strong relationships with key SASB stakeholders (companies, investors and SMEs) during research, consultation, public comment and ratification. Consider and document actionable stakeholder recommendations. Interact with key stakeholders during individual and group meetings, webinars, and other direct consultations.
- SASB Spokesperson: Represent and evangelize SASB as a speaker, panelist or participant, for industries under coverage, at financial, industry, academic, NGO, regulatory and other events worldwide. Seek to engage with key high-level stakeholders (C-suite, Executive Directors, etc.) when possible. Communicate SASB’s value proposition in a clear, compelling manner to diverse audiences.
- Produce high-quality and compelling written content: Write standards updates, blog posts, articles, presentations, white papers and other content in a technically proficient, efficient, compelling style with consistent high quality.
- Surface standards: Identify, develop, and prepare compelling narratives related to the content of the SASB standards for use in publications and presentations.
- Standards Board: Leverage sectoral expertise to equip the Standards Board with the resources needed to provide effective, efficient stewardship of the SASB Standards. Respond to requests for information or action on a timely basis, follow-up with effective plans to address Board requests and completes requested tasks in a timely manner / by agreed-upon deadlines.
Research Analysts are high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, direct communicators, highly-organized and committed to the vision and values of SASB. In addition, Research Analysts have (minimum):
- 5+ years of experience in one or more of the 77 industries in which SASB sets standards as a financial analyst, operating manager, engineer, sustainability manager or consultant.
- Experience in a regulatory or standards-setting organization a plus.
- Undergraduate degree (BA or BS) required. Master’s Degree in Business, Economics, Public Policy, Engineering or Finance, CFA or CPA a plus. Attainment of SASB FSA required within one year of hire.
- Demonstrated high-quality research and analysis skills, including technical aptitude and understanding of basic engineering and accounting concepts; comprehension and synthesis of complex information.
- Consultative skills and ability to manage a broad array of relationships and contacts.
- Excellent writing, presentation, and speaking skills across a range of formats and audiences.
- Proven ability to manage competing priorities and deliver to strict deadlines.
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude.
- Collaborative work style, entrepreneurial, excels in a fast-paced environment.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com