EHS Specialist II – Hazard Communication
The Hazard Communication Specialist II supports all Thermo Fisher business divisions by completing hazard assessments, preparing hazard communication documents (safety data sheets and labels), assisting with safety data sheet distribution, and maintaining product information systems for knowledge management and compliance assurance.
The right candidate will have experience providing regulatory support for both internal and external customers, and is comfortable working closely with internal Product Management, Sales, and Project Management teams. We are looking for an individual with experience in the Regulatory Affairs, Product Stewardship or EH&S field, with an emphasis on hazard communication requirements. Knowledge of domestic and international transportation classification is also required. The preferred candidate will also demonstrate excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills and will be able to multi-task in a fast-paced office environment.
Essential responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Prepare globally compliant GHS Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and container labels for Thermo Fisher’ commercial and experimental products.
- Communicate with Thermo Fisher R&D staff to ensure detailed compositional and physical property data needed for the product's hazard assessment are provided.
- Lead projects related to HazCom. Support junior staffs in their day to day work and assist Supervisor/Manager in meeting the project deadlines and the overall compliance requirements.
- Work with company’s toxicologists to ensure product's hazards are adequately evaluated and addressed on the SDS and labels as needed.
- Be proactive in developing process improvement plans.
- Determine U.S. and International transportation hazard classifications. Understand laws and regulations (e.g. OSHA, EU-CLP, REACH) governing SDS authoring, downstream chemical distribution, and hazardous chemical management within the Environmental Health and Safety industry.
- Determine the product formulation from various data points. Maintain product updates in Thermo Fisher data repository (Agile). Assist with management of SDS distribution tool.
- Demonstrate Role Model Leadership.
- Assists other employees in accomplishment of Thermo Fisher company goals.
- Follows instructions and performs other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
- Participates in and completes company-required training programs. Participates in EH&S initiatives as set forth by the company.
- Masters/Bachelor’s degree in Toxicology, Chemistry, Biology or other life sciences.
- Requires strong analytical skills and the ability to accurately manage large amounts of detailed information.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team atmosphere and to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to learn complex databases; Attention to computer-use ergonomic issues.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Promotes understanding of customer requirements and expectations.
- Able to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively on multiple assignments concurrently.
- Experience working with multiple customers.
- Reprioritizes work quickly to meet changing demands. Must be motivated to learn on the job and take initiative for training.
- Requires relevant experience in Hazard Communication and knowledge and experience in global hazard communication requirements and chemical control laws.
- Strong English skills. Additional language skills (European or Asian) are preferred.
- Familiarity with Chemical Regulations like EU-CLP, REACH, Safety Data Sheet requirements, etc.
- Must be able to multi-task to meet standard response times and deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent Microsoft suite skills. Should be comfortable with advanced MS-Excel and MS-Access
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency, contagious optimism and a “can do” attitude.
- Is strategic, astute and forward-thinking. Inspires motivates and collaborates with others.
- Project management experience.
- Strong systems background in WERCS and/or Agile SQL, SAP knowledge.
- Knowledge of OSHA, EMS. ISO guidelines.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com