The Environmental Justice Program Educator is primarily responsible for developing, executing and education programs in NYPAs environmental justice areas. This will include community outreach and raising awareness of and securing support for NYPA’s STEM education program
The incumbent will be responsible for coordinating and communicating NYPA programs in support of environmental justice (EJ). Through contacts and initiatives identified by NYPA, the incumbent with interact with NYPA EJ stakeholders in communities surrounding NYPA facilities and projects across the state of New York.
- Develop and implement core STEM program and energy education programs within EJ communities, which include local schools, not for profit organizations, and state and city organizations consistent with NYPA’s mission, and goals.
- Management and procurement of education providers and resources
- Support Environmental Justice Manager in collaboration with NY State and City Department of Education, also responsible for ensuring that curriculum is in line with NYC and NYS laws and standards
- Actively research opportunities for NYPA representation in targeted local, regional and/or professional organizations to enhance NYPA’s profile.
- Development of educational materials (contractor & internal) including the coordination and the development of promotional, educational and outreach communications materials.
- Conduct workshops and trainings for community members
- Recognize opportunities to leverage NYPA’s community resources to further company goals.
- Travel to all regions of New York State to implement NYPA programs and to represent NYPA at community events is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Highly effective verbal, written & presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work in diverse communities,
- Ability to interact directly and independently with all levels of management both internally & externally as well as with government officials.
- High degree of motivation, with the ability to handle competing priorities, while demonstrating a high level of attention to detail.
- Must be a self-starter, able to work with limited guidance and able to exercise discretion, independent judgement and decision making when necessary.
- Ability to undertake significant travel, weekend and evening work to coincide with community events and workshops.
Education, Experience and Certifications
- Bachelor degree in English, Public Administration, Environmental Studies or related field.
- Understanding of current trends in NYS energy landscape including emerging career fields to compliment energy policy.
- Experience in K-12 program management, community outreach and teaching to underserved communities. Preferred: demonstrated experience of multiyear community outreach and program pipeline development.
- Preferred: Experience of curriculum development and interaction with NYS and NYC Department of Education, NYS schools, Teachers and Principals.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Approximately 60% travel within NY State.
- Ability and willingness to attend meetings/events outside of normal business hours.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer