* This announcement is a re-announcement for NOS-NCCOS-2018-0034. In order to be considered, you must apply to this position.
This position is located in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Ocean Service (NOS), National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science (NCCOS), Kasitsna Bay Laboratory in Seldovia, Alaska and Homer, Alaska.
Learn more about this agency
The selected individual will serve as a scientist in the NCCOS Marine Spatial Ecology Division, Kasitsna Bay Laboratory. NCCOS's mission is to deliver ecosystem science solutions for the stewardship of the nation's ocean and coastal resources to sustain thriving coastal communities and economies.As an Ecologist, you will perform the following duties:
- Design and conduct original field and laboratory research projects in the field of applied ecology in order to better understand the response of estuarine and coastal Alaska ecosystems to natural and human-caused impacts, including those associated with climate change, harmful algal blooms, oil spills, ocean acidification, invasive species, other coastal hazards, and human activities.
- Apply fundamental understanding of marine ecology and oceanography to develop ecosystem assessment and decision support products for Alaska resource managers, coastal planners, and communities that integrate ecological research findings, ocean and ecosystem monitoring and mapping data and/or model output data.
- Prepare technical and scientific reports of research findings and publish findings in peer reviewed science journals.
- Communicate scientific findings to state and federal coastal resource managers, stakeholder groups, agency management and policy makers and work closely with those individuals in formulating regional and national policy decisions that can withstand political and judicial review.
- Develop new research proposals to solicit funding from government and non-government sources.
Occasional travel - 10% of domestic travel may be required.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com