This position is in the Dept of Wildlife Health Sciences (WHS) at the Smithsonian National Zoological Park (NZP) in Washington, DC. The incumbent performs duties: (1) provide veterinary technical support in the delivery of health care to a wide variety of non-domestic collection animals; (2) complete veterinary tasks and (3) provide clinical laboratory support as a diagnostic tool for health care to insure the proper functioning of the WHS’s Veterinary Hospital and the medical programs.
Learn more about this agency
- Assists staff veterinarians and consultants in the broad areas of animal anesthesia, treatment, surgery, dentistry, radiology and preventative medicine.
- Administers medication both orally and by injection as prescribed by veterinary staff, ensuring accurate calculations of fluid volumes and doses.
- Monitors hospital equipment on a regularly scheduled and documented basis for general upkeep and repair; and notifies proper offices and agencies when service for any equipment is warranted.
- Provides supportive care and administers prescribed treatments to animals housed in the veterinary hospital or quarantine areas.
- Inspecting and monitoring of all hospitalized or quarantined animals at specific times to insure proper care, wellbeing and security of animals in enclosures, and assure prompt reporting of illness or abnormal behavior.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com