The Water and Environmental Chemistry Laboratory (WECL) Technician assists the WECL Manager providing analytical services in support of research, engineering, and external consulting work. The WECL technician delivers scientifically verifiable, valid data while adhering to established quality assurance policies and procedures.
- Perform chemical, biological, and physical tests of water/wastewater according to standard methods while adhering to QA/QC protocols.
- Operate benchtop, field, and other analytical equipment including on-line instrumentation, analytical balances, autoclaves, water purification systems, fume hoods, etc.
- Conduct sampling on and off-site in accordance with ongoing research and monitoring projects.
- Record and compile laboratory data using manual and computer-based data management systems; assist in the preparation of analytical and statistical reports on operations and activities.
- Complete sampling for storm water and facility discharge permits in accordance with the National Pollution Discharge Elimination System and other permits.
- Properly dispose of hazardous waste generated by the laboratory in accordance with the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) guidelines.
- Author and update existing laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Collaborate with staff to deliver on research, engineering, and consulting projects, including authoring or co-authoring scientific articles and reports (internal and external)
DESIRED BACKGROUND AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Bachelor of Science degree in biology, chemistry, or environmental science with demonstrated supporting analytical coursework.
- One year of water chemistry laboratory experience preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal staff, consultants, regulatory agencies, and equipment vendors.
The physical and mental requirements described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Passing a medical evaluation for respirator use
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Lifting 30 lbs. from the floor to benchtop height
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com