- Promoting the sustainability value of plastics is a primary focus for Dow.
- The proliferation of plastics waste in the form of litter and marine debris poses an immediate threat to our industry/business’ reputation and is receiving growing attention from the general public, media and lawmakers. There has been a rapid increase in the number of proposed bans, fees and taxes intended to reduce or eliminate the use of plastic altogether.
- Through the promotion of policies and programs, Dow’s Packaging and Specialty Plastics (P&SP) business is dedicated to advancing the vision of a “circular economy” for plastics, an important focus of the 2025 sustainability goals Dow set in 2015. The P&SP Sustainability team is one of the most active groups in Dow with multiple initiatives that address the issue of end-of-life options for plastics waste.
- Business communications in the sustainability arena is becoming increasingly important as the business continues to position itself as a leader in this space. Therefore, the business is seeking a dedicated professional to manage the sustainability/plastics waste communications platform for Latin America.
- The Packaging & Specialty Plastics Latin America Business Communications Senior Specialist for Sustainability has primary responsibility for the strategic development and tactical implementation of regional internal/external communications activities that advance the global sustainability platform of P&SP.
- This position will be closely aligned to the P&SP Sustainability Director for Latin America and serve as a member of a cross-functional sustainability activation team to help drive regional implementation of signature Latin America initiatives that demonstrate Dow’s commitment to solving the plastics waste crisis.
- The selected candidate will help position Dow as a thought leader and innovator and seek opportunities to influence consumers and other stakeholders about the benefits of plastics in society.
- This position reports directly to the P&SP Latin America Business Communications Team Lead and become an integral member of an accomplished and dedicated staff of business communicators and corporate affairs professionals based in Sao Paulo, Brazil - Latin America Headquarters for Dow.
- Design, align, implement and execute internal/external communication deliverables that advance the business’s strategic priorities for sustainability in Latin America.
- Support the business’ sustainability platform in the region with communications outreach that touch multiple stakeholders: employees, direct customers, brand owners, retailers, consumers, NGOs and Government Agencies, among others
o Drive messaging on the value of a circular economy for plastics
o Collaborate with industry partners on special projects that demonstrate a commitment to address the issue of plastics waste: marine debris, recyclability of non-recyclable plastics
- Work closely with business and corporate affairs leadership to prioritize and manage the development, implementation and execution of external communication strategies to include:
o Branding and launch strategies
o Trade press media relations
o The development of videos, E-campaigns, digital tools to engage with target audiences
o Social media strategy/website
- Train and educate internal business and functional stakeholders to ensure alignment on sustainability messaging for external audiences. Ensure sellers, TS&Ds and marketing teams are ambassadors of our platforms in every interaction with customers, trade associations and other stakeholders
- Establish key metrics to measure effectiveness of communication program and activities, and ensure budgets are developed with sound fiscal rationale.
- Oversee regional agency mix to support ongoing outreach to target audiences across multiple channels
ESSENTIAL JOB SKILLS
- Strong writing skills, creative, and innovative with an ability to interact with a variety of individuals, job levels, and cultures in a professional business environment.
- Subject matter expertise on external communications and stakeholder engagement.
- Expertise in digital marketing and social media reputation management (i.e. website, social media channels, SEO, etc.)
- Strong project management skills with demonstrated team leadership capabilities.
- 5-7 years’ experience in corporate communications and/or marketing communications, preferably in a corporate sustainability role.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in corporate communications, marketing, sustainability, or related disciplines.
- Proven ability to lead and direct marketing communications and strategic communications activities including:
o Management of communication agencies
o Tradeshows/Customer Events
o E-marketing/Social Media
o Product Advertising
o Public Relations/Media Relations
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects
- Flexibility to travel (20%)
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com