The incumbent serves as the Inventory and Monitoring Coordinator for the Division of Natural Resources and Conservation Planning, Midwest Region, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, in Bloomington, Minnesota.
Learn more about this agency
The incumbent is responsible for planning, directing, and administering a comprehensive biological inventory and monitoring program for all National Wildlife Refuge System (NWRS) units in the Midwest Region. The incumbent oversees the development of protocols and monitoring plans and ensures the highest priority and most efficient wildlife and habitat monitoring activities occur on refuges and conducted by refuge staff, volunteers, and partners. Duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinates efforts between the NWRS, National Park Service, U.S. Geological Survey, and other agencies and organizations to implement inventory and monitoring efforts on refuges, and develops inventory and monitoring plans, monitoring protocols and sample designs to address refuge needs.
- Reviews and provides advice on formal and informal research proposals, field investigations, monitoring/inventory plans, and scientific reports and publications.
- Facilitates the analysis of multi-refuge data in conjunction with similar data collected by other federal/state agencies and private organizations for purposes of identifying role of NWRS within various national biological inventory and monitoring programs.
- Coordinates with the Regional Natural Resource Data Manager to ensure metadata for biological data are documented according to Service guidelines for the purpose of exchanging refuge data with other Service divisions, federal/state agencies, and private conservation organizations for use in biological decision making.
- Coordinates with other management team members to determine information needs for planning and implementation in a management decision making process.
- Coordinates, summarizes, and reports on research and information needs as well as associated biological inventory and monitoring protocols and database needs.
- Provides summaries of monitoring and research activities.
50% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com