Context: The Conservation Program Coordinator organizes and implements a major conservation program, campaign or initiative such as land use management, air/water quality, wilderness management, transportation planing, wetlands, urban planning, etc.
Scope: Under direction of the Chapter Director or the assigned volunteer leader, implements the Chapter’s approved conservation programmatic objectives.
- Develops and implements campaign strategies for conservation programs and projects in accordance with the chapter policy.
- Recruits, coordinates and facilitates grassroots involvement in conservation programs.
- Works with staff volunteer leaders and other interest groups to identify, recruit and organize volunteers for conservation campaigns.
- Plans, develops and implements campaign strategies for conservation programs.
- Monitors, analyzes, and evaluates laws, initiatives and new developments affecting a specific conservation issue at the community, state and national levels.
- Makes presentations to community, political, and governmental bodies regarding chapter conservation efforts. Writes press releases newsletters, flyers, etc. to keep the Club membership and the general public informed.
- Advocates the Sierra Club position on proposed legislation involving conservation programs; informs and communicates with elected officials, business leaders, governmental agencies, and other non‑profit organizations.
- Conducts surveys, investigations, and research needed to achieve objectives of conservation program.
- Works on task forces, committees, etc. representing the Club's objective or mission.
- Works closely with media representatives to insure that the message of the Club is accurately represented by the media.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned, including fundraising for our public lands work in the Ozarks.
Knowledge & Skills:
- BA/BS degree in Environmental Studies, Political Science or a closely related field.
- 1-2 years experience in the environmental field that includes research and organizing campaigns, press relations and public speaking.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com