Alstom develops and markets systems, equipment and services for the railway sector around the globe while promoting sustainable mobility. We pride ourselves on our multifunctional expertise and manage the widest range of solutions in the market – from high-speed trains, metros and tramways to infrastructure, signalling and customised services.
Our most recent project is the Réseau express métropolitain (REM). REM will be the fourth largest automated transportation system in the world once completed and is also the largest public transit project in Quebec since the Montreal Metro. The future integrated network will link downtown Montreal, the South and North Shores, the West Island and the airport. Alstom is looking for qualified candidates to fill positions on this exciting new chapter of urban transit in Montreal.
As part of the REM project team, this role reports to the Project Director and is responsible for all EHS matters associated within Alstom scope for this project. This is a new role within the project and the role has a dotted line reporting to the EHS Country Manager Canada. The role will require interactions with internal and external teams including the Project Team, Canada EHS Team, Site EHS Team, Subcontractors, Partners and Customer. The role is project based with limited travel. It is expected that this position will provide strategic support and direction on all EHS matters associated with the project while ensuring compliance to Alstom internal EHS standards, Quebec legislative requirements, project/contractual EHS requirements and best practice in industry.
Support Project Management in achieving EHS results
- Deploy EHS programs and processes in the Project in line with Country and Regional Centre policy and strategy.
- Establish links with partners in the Consortium to define EHS Plan of the Project
- Attend regular meeting with Consortium and partner to ensure the right level of coordination
- Hold regular meetings to communicate improvements and good EHS practise for the project and on site
- Ensure the preparation of the project EHS budget
- Manage all regulatory authority relationships related to EHS
- Contribute to return of experience for field activities.
- Drive the risks assessment and environmental impact analysis for the field activities including fire and natural catastrophe.
- Prepare, implement and maintain the project emergency plans.
- Has the authority to stop, and must stop, every dangerous situations or each work condition not allowed by Alstom standards.
- Coordinate with all consortium, partners and client EHS representatives.
- Provide direction and management of project EHS team members.
Develop EHS culture in the project
- Create EHS awareness, prepare project EHS training plan and programme and ensure their correct deployment & application.
- Prepare and implement EHS communication plan for the project.
- Prepare and implement injury reduction plan for the project
Develop Project EHS Management System
- Establish and maintain the project EHS management plan and associated documents in compliance with regulations, Alstom corporate standards and contract requirements.
- Ensure the application of procedure for environmental prevention and improvement actions.
- Ensure the implementation of activities related to safety, compliance by public authorities and advise when there is change.
- Assure compliance with local law / regulation and Alstom standards for the Project.
- Alert the Project Director of all health and safety related events, environmental incidents, non- compliance and complaints.
- Manage relationship with the authorities.
- Manage all project related interactions with CNESST including active management if injury cases.
Report, Measure & Review
- Report Project EHS KPI in line with Alstom internal and project reporting requirements
- Analyse EHS Project accidents, incidents and near-miss and issue proposed action plan.
- Prepare, review and or approve environmental reports and assessment.
- Coordinate technical inspection of equipment / tools, concerning EHS
- Check the daily application of the EHS management plan by all project members (including subcontractors)
- Conduct EHS audit and inspections and implement corrective actions as needed
- Perform environmental inspection and audit of subcontractors in the field and when relevant off-site (i.e for waste disposal companies).
SKILLS & EDUCATION
- For this role, it is a requirement that the candidate holds minimum Degree level qualifications in Occupational Health and Safety as well as an appropriate level of Environmental related qualifications. These qualifications will be complimented with significant industry experience.
- Lead auditor qualification an advantage.
- Fluent in French and English.
- Significant experience (10+ years) managing EHS in rail projects from planning stage, through construction, installation, test and commissioning phases and all aspects of project delivery. The candidate should be able to demonstrate their experience in directing EHS matters during the management of co-activities on a significantly large similar scope project.
- Detailed knowledge of relevant Occupational Health and Safety legislation and regulations; Environmental protection legislation and regulations; and industry management system standards (ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 or ISO45001).
- Experience of risk assessment and environmental impact analysis and survey; knowledge of tools and methodologies.
- Experience of Health & Safety management in a high risk environment, preferably within rail projects
- Experience of environmental impacts management (waste, energy, water, soil and groundwater contamination, air pollution, hazardous substances management, noise,...)
- Experience of incident investigations and root cause analysis, definition of corrective and preventive action plans
- Experience in inspection and auditing
- Knowledge of crisis management for natural events and industrial catastrophes
- Operationally oriented and adaptable
- Ability to take decisions, sense of urgency and team work oriented
- Great communication skills and transparency
We thank you for your interest in joining Alstom team. Please note that we will contact only selected candidates.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com