The Practice Leader we are seeking will have the desire to drive our capabilities to new heights by working directly with clients and team members to lead advances in the practice of Stormwater resource management in our communities.
- The leader will provide valuable support to the Water Business Sector Manager by assuming leadership of a team of staff in the discipline area. These responsibilities will ultimately include staff development, workload planning/tracking, growth and profitability, quality control, proposal preparation, business development, and fostering good overall team morale and positive client relationships. The leader will also function as a senior project manager on projects.
- People are our core asset, and as such, this leader will attract, retain, coach, develop, and motivate staff to reliably deliver and provide excellent service to our clients. This leader provides an important communication point for staff to help the Business Sector Manager better maintain the pulse and morale of the team.
- The leader will be vital to the day-to-day execution of project work and maintaining focus on key objectives and milestones determined by the Business Sector Manager.
- Reports to: Water Business Sector Manager
- Direct reports: Direct reports can range from entry level staff to senior level staff in the company within the same technical area.
- Other key relationships: Coordinates with Water Business Sector Manager, other Water Business Sector Practice Leads, and support staff, including Marketing, Accounting, IT, and HR Managers.
Here are some things to determine if this opportunity is a fit for your character and skills:
- You value relationships. You nurture and maintain relationships with clients and understand the importance of developing a rapport with your internal team. You are a team builder with the ability to bring the right people together to get the desired results. You understand the Importance of the stability and support of your family and friends outside of work and how this contributes to your success and happiness.
- You enjoy solving problems. You love taking on difficult challenges and finding creative solutions. You don’t get flustered easily. If you don’t know the answer, you’ll dig until you find it, including knowing when to ask for help and seek support from others.
- You like helping people. You enjoy teaching and mentoring staff to help them reach their goals and potential. You are patient, level-headed, and cool under pressure.
- You communicate clearly. You appreciate the importance of communicating well and communicating often. You value clarity and are willing to discuss any issue. You are comfortable and competent communicating in writing, on the phone and in-person.
- You can adapt to change. When things change, as they inevitably will, you can adjust and help others to adjust. You understand that as changes are implemented it is important to communicate the “why” and check in regularly with your team. You aren’t deterred by failures, but rather use them to learn and improve. You like learning new things, and you can learn quickly.
- You have a proven track record as a leader in delivering projects and developing and/or nurturing client relationships
- You are motivated by results. You are motivated by setting challenging goals and then working with and through others to achieve them. You take ownership of your responsibilities and take pride in making a difference.
- You pay attention to details. You stay focused on your work and that of your team to ensure that the final work product is high-quality and provides value to the client.
- You have emotional intelligence. You care about self-development and regulation of your emotions so that you are able to meet people where they are and bring your best to any situation. You develop relationships easily, and people seek you out for advice and mentoring.
To become part of shaping this premier and growing water firm, you need to have experience in the civil or environmental engineering field. Technical skills are important, but in this role your ability to lead, manage, work with others, mentor and support a team, and establish trust and commitment both internally and externally with clients is paramount. At West Yost, we will provide you with the foundation to build and grow a successful practice, you bring the motivation to take it to the next level.
Please include a cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for this position. Visit www.westyost.com for more information and other opportunities. This full-time, regular position is available in Davis, CA. Other West Yost office locations may be considered.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com