About SUEZ in North America
SUEZ in North America operates across all 50 states and Canada with 6,700 employees dedicated to environmental sustainability and smart and sustainable resource management. The company provides drinking water, wastewater and waste collection service to 6.4 million people on a daily basis; treats over 600 million gallons of water and over 450 million gallons of wastewater each day; delivers water treatment and advanced network solutions to 16,000 industrial and municipal sites; processes 55,000 tons of waste for recycling; and rehabilitates and maintains water assets for more than 4,000 municipal and industrial customers. The company is a subsidiary of Paris-based SUEZ.
The incumbent develops strategic EHSS plan for the divisions and work in close coordination with operations leadership to ensure its implementation thru leadership commitment and employee engagement. Incumbent plays critical role for development and implementation of SUEZ environment, health and safety (EHSS), and industrial risk programs & policies. Incumbent monitor, verifies, and strengthen compliance with EHS regulations and takes action where necessary. This includes compliance with permits, Safe Drinking Water Act, Clean Water Act, OSHA, EPA and State Regulations and achieving employee engagement thru Human Performance. Frequent site visits and engagement with all levels in the organization will be required. Incumbent analyzes critical information and provides data and analysis to senior management The incumbent also supports other company functions and performs other duties as assigned.
Nature & Scope-Principal Areas of Responsibilities:
- EHS Leadership: Develops EHSS vision and strategy and work closely with operations leadership to ensure its implementation. Be the catalyst for change thru leadership commitment and employee engagement. Motivate and lead EHS team with energy and enthusiasm for achieving organizational objectives. Remain focused on long term vision while adjusting in response to day to day challenges.
- Human & Organization Performance: Develop and implement strategies for strong ownership by business leadership and engaged workforce including Human Performance initiative. Ensure regular field visits by EHS staff for human performance observations (i.e. job-shadow critical tasks/work processes from beginning to end identifying deviations); risk assessment, “pre-accident investigations” and “post job reviews”. Implement controls for Severe Potential Injuries & Fatality (SIF) preventions. Provide leadership and implementation capability for recognizing and overcoming organization limitations to improved compliance and safety performance
- Incident Prevention & Management: Lead the implementation of post-accident learning meetings (accident analysis) and ensure controls are in place for seasonal/specific risks. Ensure effective incident management including injury intervention & return to work processes. Works with division organization to bring consistent improvement
- EHS Performance Reviews: Steer and monitor EHS assessment & reviews including EHS audits, due diligence, work-site inspections, goal and program setting for the region. Follow-up to ensure identified actions and implemented and effective.
- Environmental Duties: Lead environmental compliance processes, risk assessment, and development and implementation of preventive measures. This includes ensuring compliance with safe drinking water act, clean water act, NPDES project permit, and bioslids disposal regulations.
- Division Support: Forecasts, strategizes, formulates and Division’s EHSS programs, and works with direct and indirect reports for efficient implementation. Analyzes incident trends data and implements strategies for continual and sustainable improvement. Provide divisional support to facilitate behavioral changes, risk reductions, and compliance with EHS regulations and policies. Lead implementation of EHS programs thru observations and coaching for improved behaviors. Implement subcontractor safety management including EHS orientation, on-going evaluation, and field observations
- Corporate Initiatives: Coordinate implementation of SUEZ initiatives including contract deliverables, fair culture assessments, traffic/vehicle safety, and health initiatives
- Training: Develop and coordinate implementation of EHS training program. Monitor and report of compliance status and effectiveness of implementation. Ensure adequate resources are provided for meeting the objectives.
- Other Duties: Supports business development & due diligence and mobilization and transition of new business. Manage departmental budget and prepare internal as well as external EHS reports. Maintain relationship with other interfaces and technical specialists inside and outside the company.
- Envisioning and successfully leading and implementing change and organizational behavior.
- Ability to influence both executive leadership and field employees
- Experienced in leading a decentralized, technical workforce
- In-depth knowledge of federal & state environmental regulations including Safe Drinking Water Act, Clean Water Act (EPA), health and safety regulations (OSHA), security (DHS) regulations, and corresponding performance standards
- Knowledge of planning and implementing performance management and improvement systems
- Strong organizational, oral, written and interpersonal skills and ability to coach and train others
- Ability to balance changing and potentially conflicting priorities & working with uncertainty
- Minimum of 10-years of hands-on experience in utility management, operations and compliance
- Five years in leadership (Sr. Manager or Director) role preferably with a decentralized workforce
- Demonstrated experience with implementing change initiative e.g. human performance or other initiative that lead to EHSS excellence
- Experience in developing and implementing EHSS systems and processes including EHS audits, EHS learning & development, and environmental excellence
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com