Penn State’s Sustainability Institute seeks to hire a dynamic leader to fill the role of Director of Sustainability Solutions Research. The University aspires to be a leader in research that generates solutions to sustainability challenges. This is a new position and an opportunity for the right individual to catalyze the development of solutions-focused research with faculty from different disciplines in collaboration with businesses, non-profits, governmental organizations, and other interested stakeholders to address sustainability at the campus, local, regional, national, and global scales by leveraging the ongoing research being conducted at Penn State University. This position reports to the Chief Sustainability Officer/ Director of the Sustainability Institute.
The Director of Sustainability Solutions Research will:
- Provide overall leadership, direction, and oversight for solutions-focused transdisciplinary sustainability programs and research activities across the university;
- Facilitate the development of interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research teams around cross-cutting sustainable development themes (e.g. food-energy-water nexus; health, urbanization, and climate change; economic and cultural resiliency strategies);
- Operationalize Penn State’s living laboratory concept by identifying campus-based research opportunities in collaboration with the Office of the Physical Plant and Auxiliary and Business Services;
- Act as an interface internally between and among operations, academic, and student organizations on implementation of cross-unit sustainability solutions;
- Liaise externally to build partnerships with corporate, NGO, and government partners;
- Expand undergraduate research opportunities in sustainability;
- Coordinate capacity-building activities for faculty and research partners;
- Guide assessment of the impact and effectiveness of sustainability research at Penn State.
The successful candidate will have
- significant experience working with teams to develop interdisciplinary and multi-investigator proposals for federal agencies, foundations, and corporate partners.
- Candidates must demonstrate strong team building skills, the ability to collaborate across organizational boundaries, and manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Penn State is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and the diversity of its workplace. Likewise, the successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to building a diverse and inclusive research community.
- Ph.D. or advanced terminal degree in a sustainability-related field, plus minimum six years of related work experience in academia, industry, government, or business;
- Experience in catalyzing and/or facilitating transdisciplinary research;
- Demonstrated ability to build collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Successful track record in proposal/grant writing;
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
To apply, submit curriculum vitae, cover letter, and three professional references on-line through https://psu.jobs/. Review of applications will begin on September 10, 2018, and continue until the position is filled.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. This is a fixed-term appointment funded for three years from date of hire with excellent possibility of refunding.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com