We are seeking an experienced community organizer to direct Toxics Action Center’s programs and campaigns in Maine. Key responsibilities include:
- Strategic planning and program development: Set the organization’s agenda in Maine. You’ll identify the biggest local environmental threats in Maine, enter communities, and build relationships with key local leaders. You’ll work with local leaders to identify solutions to local environmental problems and develop creative strategies to win, including building coalitions.
- Community organizing training and leadership development: You will organize with 10-15 community groups each year, conducting group training consultations on campaign skills as well as having one-on-one coaching and leadership development sessions with group leaders.
- Communications and organizational visibility: You will work to increase Toxics Action Center’s media presence and name recognition by organizing events, news releases, holding one-on-one meetings, and doing online outreach and visibility.
- Fundraising: You will build lasting relationships in the funder community and build resources for your work through foundation grants, cultivating major donors, door-to-door canvassing, event fundraisers, and other grassroots fundraising opportunities.
- Volunteer and Staff Management: Recruit, train and manage a team of interns with potential to oversee staff as well.
The ideal candidate is passionate about community organizing, movement building, and environmental and racial justice. Candidates must have at least three years of post-college professional experience, such as community organizing, campaign coordination, environmental advocacy, or coalition building. If you have less experience, you can apply for our Community Organizer job.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate possesses. We offer a competitive benefits package including health care, 401(k), education loan assistance, and paid vacation and sick days. Opportunities for advancement, travel and additional training are available.
Toxics Action Center is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workplace and a diverse movement. People of color, women, and LGBT people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com