The Information Science Program is currently seeking an eBird Project Coordinator.
Specific duties include:
- Collaborate with diverse eBird team of project staff, application developers, designers, and scientists to lead and grow the global eBird project.
- Coordinate global community engagement and outreach; increase participation, focusing on improving data volume and quality.
- Develop, manage, and maintain a global network of hundreds of volunteers across a broad spectrum of eBird activities from outreach and engagement with a particular focus of on eBird’s network of more than 1500 international data quality reviewers.
- Build the international collaborations and partnerships required to make the project a global success.
- Serve as non-technical lead for testing application development working with global user community to projects work across wide variety of web and mobile platforms across many languages.
- Create data products that deliver eBird data in useful ways to thousands of researchers and conservation practitioners, as well as monitoring overall data use.
- Assist academic team members and PI’s with publishing key findings in popular literature and peer-reviewed literature.
- Develop the political skills to negotiate with international partners.
- Assist with preparation and submission of proposals to secure additional program funding.
- Seek out and develop program funding opportunities.
- Collaborate with Cornell students and outside contractors to meet goals and objectives for eBird.
This position requires extensive international and domestic travel to cultivate and develop international partnerships.
Annual term appointment with possible renewal based on performance and available funding.
Applicants to provide cover letter, resume, contact information for 3 references.
This position is based in Ithaca, New York.
- Bachelor’s degree; more than 2 years’ experience or equivalent.
- Deep understanding of birds and bird distribution.
- Proven skills in project management and coordination are essential, along with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity and proficiency with the Internet and content management systems is critical, along with a strong interest in using the Web as a tool to conduct research, engage and educate the public.
- Mastery of common computer skills including word, email, and excel.
- Prior knowledge of social media outlets.
- Strong communication skills (written and oral) to clearly articulate vision and plans, and provide instruction effectively to all levels of management, staff, new partners, funding agencies, eBird users, and visitors are critical.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of management and staff internally and externally.
- Candidate will value teamwork and be able to stimulate cooperation between all employees and partners.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Provide high level of initiative to anticipate needs of the project and fulfill project objectives with very minimal supervision.
- Ability to prioritize activities and multitask is essential.
- Ability to travel internationally when necessary; must obtain and maintain valid passport.
- Proficiency in Spanish or Portuguese.
- Experience with GIS software.
- At least two years’ experience using eBird and eBird Review tools strongly preferred.
- Experience with WordPress, SQL helpful.
Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position; not eligible to apply.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com