Multiple part-time temporary positions are available. Work will not exceed 1040 hours in a 12 month period.
Temporary keepers work under the direction of Living Collections managers to assist with the day-to-day care of the animals at the Oregon Zoo.
Essential Job Duties
An employee in this position must be able to perform all of the essential job duties listed below with or without reasonable accommodation; however, this list is not intended to include all of the specific tasks which an employee in this position may be expected to perform. A temporary employee will generally not perform the full scope of duties as listed in the job classification.
- As directed, provides day-to-day care for animals at the Oregon Zoo.
- Performs upkeep, cleaning and disinfecting functions for areas such as barns, cages, yards, pools, food trays and water troughs. Also maintains lab, office and other areas.
- Performs animal feeding duties such as preparing prescribed diets; setting out and offering food in a manner which is most likely to result in total consumption. Makes precise reports on food consumption.
- Observes animals throughout assigned shift to identify normal and abnormal behavior. Reports observations and problems to keepers and/or veterinary staff.
- As directed, keeps records on daily health, behavior and diet, food inventory and supply, breeding and mating activity.
- Checks conditions of animal environments to assess security and safety for animals, employees, and visitors. Reports any problems.
- Under supervision, administers medications as prescribed by Veterinarian; observes animals to determine the medications taken. Performs general husbandry tasks which can include duties such as trimming nails, exercising animals, worming, assisting with breeding programs or other daily routines.
- Maintains safe work habits and contributes to the safety of self and co-workers. Follows safety protocols to maintain animal health and security, and public protection.
- May assist with the capture, restraint or segregation of animals for shipment, medical treatment, research or transfer to another area.
- Acts as a resource to public. Provides customer service to zoo guests, answers questions about the zoo and the animals, and may assist with tours.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
This temporary position is represented by LIUNA 483 and is classified as an Animal Keeper. Classification descriptions are typically written broadly and do not include the specific duties and responsibilities of the positions.
- Three years professional animal keeper related experience, and
- A Bachelor's degree in biology, zoology, or related subjects relevant to the care of zoo animals, or
- Any combination of education and experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the classification duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule. Weekend and holiday availability is required.
- A negative TB test or x-ray on a yearly basis.A valid driver's license.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge of general animal care practices and methods.
- Knowledge of occupational and other safety required in the area of work assignment.
- Skill to make thorough observations and document and report observations.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and associated software, radios and cell phones.
- Ability to work in a safe manner and to react quickly to hazardous conditions.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to zoo guests and enhance zoo visitor education.
- Ability to communicate effectively and to maintain effective working relations with colleagues and supervisors.
- Ability to learn prescribed routines quickly and to work without close supervision.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform essential duties which may include lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to fulfill Metro's employee values of public service, excellence, teamwork, respect, innovation and sustainability.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com