NRDC is seeking an Illinois Clean Energy Advocate to join the Midwest Region team of the Climate & Clean Energy Program, to be based in NRDC’s Chicago office. This role requires a commitment to developing Illinois as a leadership state on climate and clean energy policy, experience working collaboratively and in a team-based setting with both internal and external partners, ability to represent NRDC in the media and other public forums with credibility and enthusiasm, interest in cultivating relationships with state and local officials, the executive branch and agencies, and a willingness to travel to Springfield, Illinois and elsewhere to advance NRDC’s policy goals with lawmakers.
- Serve in a leadership role for NRDC in Illinois to build support at the state and local level to advance and defend the organization’s climate and clean energy policy priorities;
- Strengthen, develop and nurture relationships with state and local decision makers and elected officials, and build durable partnerships with a network of allies;
- Coordinate with and represent NRDC in broad coalitions of Illinois-based environmental stakeholders;
- Provide written and oral advocacy to further NRDC’s priorities at the Illinois General Assembly, the executive branch, state agencies (such as the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency), and before regulatory forums such as the Illinois Commerce Commission and the Pollution Control Board;
- Serve as the key Illinois spokesperson in the press for NRDC’s climate and clean energy mission, including partnering with the Communications team to respond to media requests and to develop advocacy materials to amplify NRDC’s message;
- Collaborate with a multi-faceted internal team of campaign, communications, public engagement, and policy experts at NRDC to further the organization’s state and federal policy priorities;
- Work with the Climate & Clean Energy Program’s Midwest Region Director and other members of the team, as appropriate, to set strategic goals and priorities for Illinois, budgets and timelines, and effectively manage a state budget and deploy consultants and partners to meet project timelines and objectives;
- Conduct policy research and analysis to develop and support positions;
- Be a central part of a strong and collegial team that is focused on collaboration, approaches advocacy with innovation and optimism, and is committed to using the full range of expertise within NRDC and among its partners to drive change.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent experience in relevant field;
- 2-6 years’ experience related to environment, climate or energy policy;
- Experience cultivating relationships at the governmental, regulatory, or legislative levels, as well as demonstrated success managing projects and engaging in public advocacy may substitute for policy expertise;
- Track record of success in navigating diverse coalitions, building consensus on policy issues and driving toward positive outcomes within a team, in a coalition, and with other external partners;
- A sense of mission and passion for public interest and environmental advocacy;
- Interest in state and federal political issues;
- Broad-based interest in climate and clean energy work, including the ability to quickly get up to speed on NRDC’s policy and campaign priorities;
- Ability to represent NRDC with maturity, judgment and professionalism;
- Strong oral and written advocacy skills, including a willingness to represent NRDC in a variety of public forums and in the media;
- Willingness and ability to register as a state lobbyist;
- Flexibility to travel to Springfield, Illinois, as well as to other NRDC offices and U.S. locations as needed, approx. 30% of the time.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-899-4422.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com