Be part of the driving force that sustains Prospect Park, Brooklyn's flagship park. Prospect Park Alliance is a non-profit organization that works in partnership with City of New York and the community to restore, maintain and operate Prospect Park, Brooklyn’s flagship Park. The Alliance cares for the natural environment, preserves historic design, and serves the community by providing public programming and Park amenities. Recently, the Prospect Park Alliance completed Lakeside, the most ambitious project in Prospect Park since its creation. The 26-acre redesign of the southeast corner of the Park features the LeFrak Center at Lakeside, designed by the architects Billie Tsien and Tod Williams in collaboration with the Alliance, which provides seasonal ice skating, water play and a café, as well as the restoration of the surrounding landscape.
Prospect Park Alliance is currently seeking an Arboriculture Supervisor to assist in managing over 15,000 landscape trees. Reporting to the Director of Landscape Management, the Arboriculture Supervisor leads the tree work of the Prospect Park Alliance in the park, focusing mainly on younger trees (<20 years old) planted as part of the donor tree program. In addition to this, the Arboriculture Supervisor coordinates and facilitates all other tree work in the park and consults on all tree-related issues.
- Supervise one (1) arboriculture staff
- Collaborate with development department and donors to implement donor tree planting program
- Maintain new trees, including planting, weeding, mulching, watering, fencing, pruning, fertilizing, and pest control
- Work with Brooklyn Forestry to address tree safety needs in Prospect Park
- Conduct tree inventories prior to capital projects and make condition assessments
- Exercise safe and proper techniques for tree removal, pruning, and preventive care on ground, in bucket truck and climbing with ropes
- Train and supervise others in safe and proper techniques for tree removal, pruning, and preventive care on ground, in bucket truck and climbing with ropes
- Train others in tree pest/disease identification and management
- Coordinate and oversee work of tree-related contractors in the park including tree planting, tree injections, pruning, removal, and stump-grinding
- Establish maintenance regimes for mature donor trees, including soil remediation, deadwood pruning, and pest control
- Responsible for safe and appropriate use and maintenance of tools, equipment and vehicles in use by the team including but not limited to bucket truck, chipper, tractor, chainsaw, and weed whacker
- Carry out IPM monitoring for tree pests and diseases such EAB, ALB, DED, Oak Wilt, etc
- Document daily activities and maintain database for all trees and tree work in the Park
- Advise department and other PPA staff related to tree care
- Work with volunteers and interns as needed
- Respond to emergency situations, sometimes outside of regular work hours
- A degree in Forestry or a related field plus two (2) years of arboriculture experience, or four (4) years arboriculture experience
- ISA certification
- NYS CDL Class B Driver’s License (or obtained within 6 months of hire)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team
- Preferred qualifications include supervisory experience, proficiency in Microsoft Office, GIS experience, and experience working with the public
How to apply
Please send resume, cover letter and salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position offers an excellent benefits package.
Prospect Park Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls, please. Although we appreciate your interest, we will only contact applicants we are considering for interview.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com