The time is right to join HNTB Corporation! HNTB is currently seeking an Environmental Compliance Inspector in our Virginia Beach, VA office.
The function of this role is to monitor and perform environmental inspections to ensure contract and regulatory compliance on moderate to complex roadway, structure, and bridge construction projects.
Responsible for daily inspection efforts on multiple complex, large, and /or diverse projects in order to ensure contractor’s operations comply with project plans, specifications, and contract documents. Prepares daily and weekly reports on work accomplished by contractor and reviews periodical pay estimates with contractor for accuracy. Prepares sketches and assembles data for Field Engineer to utilize when making changes to the project. May participate in the mentoring, development, and evaluation of staff inspectors. Possess highest level of technical expertise; capable of addressing the most difficult and novel issues/problems.
- Monitor work of Contractor against Project Schedule.
- Review and Resolve quantity disputes with contractor.
- Read and Comprehend contract documents (i.e. plans, specifications, shop drawings).
- Keep Inspector's Daily Report of assigned work activities.
- Produce As-Constructed sketches as required.
- Perform and or observe on-site material testing.
- Perform sophisticated, complicated mathematical calculations.
- Perform measurements of completed work to date.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- To provide technical expertise on environmental compliance for construction activities operations.
- Conduct reviews of construction activities to verify environmental stipulations, commitments, and permits are being met.
- Maintain environmental records and process paperwork, preform onsite inspections as required; provide specialized expertise to Construction Staff as necessary.
High School Diploma/GED or equivalent
5 years construction related experience
All required jurisdictional certificates and state requirements
- Five (5) years of environmental permit compliance inspection experience as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- Bachelor's degree in biology/ecology, soil science, hydrology/hydraulics, forestry, environmental/urban planning, environmental science/engineering, geology, aquatic ecology, environmental law or related discipline
- Ten (10) years of demonstrated knowledge in performing environmental permit compliance inspection for complex highway construction projects may be substituted in place of degree.
Experience working with GIS
- DEQ Erosion and Sediment Control Inspector Certification and DEQ Stormwater Management (Inspector) Certification.
- Demonstrated ability in providing clear and concise technical verbal and written guidance in areas to include: environmental inspection management, wetland delineations, stream assessments, erosion and sediment control inspections, stormwater management control inspections
- Demonstrated experience assessing environmental impacts to water quality, streams, wetlands, threatened species; interpreting and utilizing state and federal environmental laws, programs, and policies.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks; create detailed documentation; communicate effectively with various interest groups/stakeholders; work outdoors performing field investigations in various weather conditions and terrains.
General Work Conditions
Field Environment: Work is frequently performed in a field environment in which there is consistent exposure to potentially unpleasant working conditions. Incumbent must have the ability to stand and sit frequently and reach horizontally as well as vertically for overhead use.
Work frequently requires working at client’s job site, construction trailer, and in a field environment. Work may sometimes require working in inclement weather, working in a construction site, being exposed to heavy construction equipment, and doing extensive walking.
Depending on the specific project, the job may require climbing to various elevations, ability to bend, twist and turn in close clearances, and crawl into confined spaces to perform required work. Select jobs may require work near heavy construction equipment, railroad right of ways, bridges, construction sites, tunnels and airport runways. Work environment may require use of construction/inspection safety equipment including fall equipment. Adherence to applicable safety protocol is required.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com