in this position, you will assist in leading the implementation of a global initiative and partnership to accelerate progress toward a sustainable new ocean economy. Reporting to the Director, Sustainable Ocean Initiative, You will be part of a global team and will coordinate research and outreach, and planning and execution of meetings with key partners. Engaging in the growing number of ocean initiatives, you will assist in finding strategic synergies within and across geographies and sectors and to galvanize widespread collaboration and provide support to the broad community of government, corporate and non-governmental organizations.
The New Ocean Economy is a shared partnership designed to inspire ambition, mobilize action, and support institutions in a cross-sectoral transition toward a sustainable Ocean economy and achievement of SDG 14. The partnership makes a compelling case for how economic development and ocean protection can go hand-in-hand, empower persuasive messengers, monitor “how goes the battle” among the ocean movement, and help improve synergies between disparate initiatives. In particular, the New Ocean Economy helps bridge and mutually support the UN Ocean Conference and Our Ocean communities.
This is a multi-faceted role requiring collaboration with external partners and colleagues across the Institute, including WRI’s international offices, to support programmatic work. If you have a passion for the environment and development, superb people skills, excellent organizational, writing and communication skills and strong attention to detail to contribute meaningfully to advancing our mission, this role provides a unique vantage point at a leading think tank.
- Assist in implementation of overarching strategies designed to achieve broad support and integration of current ocean initiatives in the lead-up to the 2019 Our Ocean conference and the 2020 UN Conference
- Develop and maintain working relationships with government officials and national and international institutions as well as relevant NGOs in the field
- Work in close collaboration with other allies and organizations in order to maximize the impact of the initiative’s efforts; convene partnerships
- Contribute to the implementation of project activities that encompass a range of sectors and topics to produce a landmark ocean economy report
- Conduct landscape assessments and identify gaps in knowledge and opportunities to create synergies within existing decision-making processes or research
- Support production of original research and liaise with external contractors
- Identify gaps and opportunities to create synergies within existing decision-making processes or research
- Work with other team members to support meetings, calls, and webinars of panelists and/or champions
- Track current ocean initiatives, sharing knowledge and policy developments to facilitate collaboration and integration
- Contribute to fundraising activities, including cultivating donor relationships, developing and submitting funding proposals, and meeting reporting requirements
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree in public policy, international relations or environmental science or equivalent experience strongly preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the international conservation arena, with a particular focus on or familiarity with international ocean conservation. Experience designing and implementing programs and initiatives
- Excellent political, strategic and analytical abilities with proven program management skills to develop, execute and evaluate a range of diverse strategies to achieve goals
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Flexible, creative, and consistent and able to assume high level accountability for all areas of responsibility
- Strong commitment to producing measurable results
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office suite
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com