Founded in 1977 during the oil crisis, the Alliance to Save Energy is a nonprofit coalition of business, government, environmental and consumer leaders advocating for enhanced energy productivity to achieve economic growth, a cleaner environment, and greater energy security, affordability and reliability.
The Education Manager shall provide day-to-day leadership for one or two Alliance youth education projects, including the development of a new program model in Los Angeles that builds on the Alliance’s long-standing PowerSave Schools K-12 energy education program. S/he may provide support for additional programs as well, including remote support and in-person training for other programs within and outside of California. The employee will work remotely from the Los Angeles metro area, reporting to the Alliance to Save Energy’s Vice President of Strategic Development based in Washington, DC.
As the Alliance prepares to launch an innovative online platform to empower the next generation of student leadership, we welcome applicants with social media experience, technology and entrepreneurial backgrounds, and community leadership skills in addition to those with experience in education and youth engagement. The ideal candidate will be excited to work strategically with our leadership and partners to grow our new programs into statewide and national models for efficiency and sustainability education.
Primary Responsibilities for the Los Angeles Program
- Coordinate with the Alliance’s contracted web developer, the Alliance’s VP of Strategic Development and other Alliance staff to guide the development of a new online platform to be piloted with Los Angeles schools
- Be directly responsible for coordinating and supporting school teams’ program implementation and activities at 12 Los Angeles schools enrolled in the pilot program in 2018-2019, including working with teams of teachers, administrators, custodians, and students
- Coordinate monthly/bi-weekly in-person school visits with school teams to provide additional resources and/or troubleshoot challenges
- Meet with district administrators (energy managers, facilities managers, principals, etc.), as needed
- Provide ongoing phone and email support to the school teams and district administrators
- Assist teams in locating energy saving opportunities at their schools
- Assist in and/or coordinate community events to promote energy efficiency and support schools to facilitate or organize career activities (a minimum of one career activity per school)
- Distribute, collect, and analyze paperwork from educators about their progress
- Assist in coordinating three meetings throughout the 2018-2019 school year, with support from other Alliance education staff and based on existing meeting “templates”
- Fall Professional Development Workshop: Plan and conduct a half-day workshop for adult team members
- Winter Mid-Year Meeting: Plan and conduct an after-school meeting, convening all school teams in January/February
- Spring End-of-Year Celebration: Plan and conduct afternoon/evening celebratory event to reward students, teachers, and schools for their work on the project in May
- Help recruit and support 40 schools that will participate in a lighter-touch model in Year 2 of the pilot program in 2019-2020
- Respond to and assist with media opportunities
- Provide detailed monthly reports on school activities and progress to headquarters staff, program funders and core partners
- Participate with Alliance staff to plan, coordinate, and modify the pilot program, as needed
- At least 4 years experience working with students in an educational setting.
- Environmental/energy experience preferred. Social media, technology and entrepreneurial and community engagement backgrounds also highly valued.
- 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience.
- Masters in education, curriculum development, or environmental studies a plus.
- Strong initiative in undertaking routine assignments/projects without direct supervision.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, problem-solving and communication skills.
The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com
Salary range is $50-70k, based on experience. The Alliance offers a generous benefits package.