SWCA Environmental Consultants has an immediate need for Environmental Specialists to work from our Houston, TX office. We offer unique work environment and specialize in energy projects, including oil and gas development, pipeline, transmission, and renewable energy, transportation, and other public sector infrastructure projects. The successful candidates will be responsible for leading natural resource field crews in conducting biological surveys throughout the Gulf Coast area.
- Lead field crews under the supervision of Field Directors and/or Project Managers in the performance of natural resource fieldwork
- Lead natural resource surveys for oil and gas development, transmission/pipelines, transportation, renewable energy, and other National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) compliance projects.
- Conduct surveys including baseline wildlife and vegetation studies, habitat assessments, and wetland delineation and ordinary high water mark (OHWM) determinations in support of Endangered Species Act and Clean Water Act requirements.
- Lead or support the development of environmental survey reports, biological assessments, and environmental permit applications.
- Accurately collect data and complete field forms, digital photography, and mapping
- Collect GPS data using Trimble units; manage data and download data to and from GPS units
- Coordinate and communicate with project managers, land surveyors, landowners and other SWCA staff as necessary
- Operate SWCA vehicles, assure they will perform safely, and notify appropriate person if vehicle needs maintenance. Ability to drive a 4-wheel drive vehicle on rugged, backcountry roads
- Minimum of B.A. or B.S. in Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, or related field required, and a minimum of 5 years of advanced study or field experience in biology, ecology, natural resource management, or related field required along with some or all of the following additional knowledge/experience:
- Experience conducting wetland delineations per the Corps of Engineers Manual.
- Experience conducting protected species presence/absence surveys, population and nesting studies.
- Experience with the identification of flora and fauna species in the Gulf Coast.
- Experience with accurate data collection procedures, and data entry QA/QC
- Ability to research and prepare technical documents
- Experience with Trimble GPS units. Familiarity with ArcPad is a plus
- Candidates must have the ability to conduct fieldwork for long hours in inclement weather conditions and ability to walk up to 10 miles per day, often in rugged terrain, carrying equipment weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Candidates must be willing to travel on short notice.
- Candidates must be willing to work variable hours.
- Candidates must be willing and able to train and mentor field staff.
- Ability to take initiative, resolve problems, and create improved procedures to assure tasks are completed in the most effective and efficient manner is required.
- Flexibility and willingness to learn company procedures, and ability to implement traditional and novel field methods and scientific approaches is required.
- Candidates must have the ability to record complete and accurate field notes.
- Ability to work independently and to work synergistically as part of a collaborative team of technicians and resource scientists is required.
- The ability to drive a 4WD vehicle on rugged, backcountry roads is preferred.
- Must have a valid drivers license and a clean driving record.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.