VHB, a nationally recognized leader in design, is seeking an Ecologist to join our growing South Burlington, VT office. Our diverse and challenging professional portfolio includes projects for utilities, renewable energy development, ski resorts, transportation infrastructure, municipalities, and real estate development. The position will involve field work and in-office technical reporting and regulatory product development, as well as some task management.
VHB’s passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- Natural and ecological resource inventory and assessments throughout Vermont and neighboring states, gathered both independently and as part of a team, with a focus on federal/state wetland and waters delineations, wetland function and value assessments, stream assessments, natural community inventory/mapping, floristic surveys, wildlife habitat assessments, ecological monitoring, and GPS data collection tasks
- Office duties will include wetland and ecological data compilation and analysis, GIS-based map creation, and technical and scientific reporting, including natural resource assessments for projects under Vermont Act 250 and Section 248 review
Skills and Abilities
- Field application of natural history concepts and wetland delineation methods, including: federal wetland delineation parameters and jurisdictional determination guidelines, wetland function and value assessment methods
- Natural community and wildlife habitat assessments, stream assessment, vegetation surveys
- Familiarity with federal/state wetland and waters regulations
- Ability to use mobile data collection and mapping tools
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and collaboratively in a team-focused group,
- Excellent verbal, technical writing, and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic about natural ecology with a demonstrated ability to grow professionally
- This position will involve working in remote field locations, temporary assignments in other regions where VHB operates, and may include extended hours and/or weekend/overnight travel shifts and will require the ability to navigate and physically work in challenging mountainous terrain and weather conditions
- BS in Environmental Science, Natural Resources, Ecology, Wetland Science, or related field
- 2+ years of professional ecological field survey experience, New England experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience in conducting wetland/water and other ecological field surveys
- Experience with ArcGIS, ArcPAD, GPS/other mobile data collection, and the suite of Microsoft Office platforms
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 38 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact, and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com