Xanterra is seeking a senior director of environmental compliance & stewardship to oversee all of its hospitality operations serving as the company’s environmental steward, working to further Xanterra’s reputation as a national leader in environmentally responsible business and tourism practices. The position will involve developing, implementing, maintaining and auditing environmental compliance and sustainability strategies and programs for Xanterra. This senior management position will report directly to Xanterra’s Vice President & General Counsel. Few positions in any organization afford such tremendous influence over such unique areas of the world, as well as the communities in which the company does business. This is a rare opportunity to apply passion, technical knowledge, communication and people skills to facilitate business practices that benefit the local park, resort, wilderness, and nautical environments, as well as the planet.
- Develop, implement, maintain, and oversee environmental compliance policies, programs, training and audits.
- Ensure legal compliance with federal, state, and local environmental statutes and regulations and minimize legal liabilities from potential hazards. This includes regulatory requirements related to hazardous materials, hazardous waste (RCRA), universal waste, CFCs/halons, asbestos, lead-based paint, PCBs, pesticides, air emissions control/permitting, storm water management, SARA Title 3 reporting, and UST/AST fuel storage and delivery system management.
- Monitor regulatory developments and assist, advise, and communicate changes affecting company operations to appropriate departments. Develop and implement appropriate training programs to ensure compliance with environmental regulations, contractual covenants, and company requirements.
- Hire, mentor, and provide technical assistance and leadership to Xanterra’s team of property environmental managers and directors. Supervise and mentor the corporate director of sustainability and ensure that all ISO 14001 internal audits are conducted and passed.
- Complete all environmental due diligence requirements related to new business opportunities and company acquisitions.
- Develop and oversee sustainability strategies and programs for all Xanterra operations.
- Monitor environmental programs for effectiveness and develop projects for improvement as needed.
- Serve as the environmental spokesperson for Xanterra, communicating with and educating guests, employees, media, partners and prospective clients on environmental matters; and working with the National Park Service and other governmental agencies on resolving environmental challenges and achieving goals.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with National Park Service staff, state and federal agencies, and outside stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must hold at a minimum a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, or related field, plus have a minimum ten years professional experience, preferably within the hospitality/leisure industry or government, in all aspects of environmental compliance or management. Individual reputation, knowledge and experience in environmental compliance and stewardship will be key criteria.
- Must be familiar with environmental laws and regulations as they relate to the hospitality industry, and have the ability to keep abreast of this developing and complex field.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, with extensive experience in technical writing and training.
- Must be highly-organized and have strong administrative and leadership skills, including experience with operating budgets and the related accountability.
- Must be experienced in environmental report writing including EMS development, ISO 14001 certification, and environmental compliance auditing.
- Must have experience in developing environmental initiatives and implementing environmental programs.
- Must have well-developed computer skills.
- Must possess the proven ability to build productive relationships by positively interacting with coworkers and clients.
Benefits & Compensation
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes 401k, health plan, and other benefits.
This is a full-time, year-round position based in Xanterra’s corporate headquarters located at 6312 S. Fiddlers Green Circle, Suite 600 North, Greenwood Village, CO 80111.
Approximately July 1 – August 1, 2018.