Recruitment #18-123 Join the dynamic Waste Reduction/Recycling team for the City of Santa Cruz! The Waste Reduction Assistant helps to plan, organize, publicize and conduct public education and promotional programs for waste reduction, recycling, household hazardous waste , pollution prevention and related areas. The Waste Reduction Assistant works with staff, businesses, schools, residents and local organizations to assist them in identifying waste reduction and recycling issues and opportunities. This is an important position which helps the City meet its sustainability and greenhouse gas reduction goals.
Selection Timeline: (Note: The following process may be changed as deemed necessary by the Human Resources Director.)
- On Thursday 06/21/18 recruitment will close. All application materials must be received by the Human Resources Department by 5:00 pm; postmarks are not accepted. To apply, submit:
- Application- online application preferred; paper application accepted. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of filling out application form completely.
- Response to supplemental questions - will be a primary tool in the evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Any work experience described here should also be included in your employment history on the main application.
- Week of 6/25 or Applications will be competitively screened based on the minimum qualifications for this position. Notification will be sent to all applicants regarding status.
- Week of 7/1 or 7/9: Top qualified candidates will be scheduled for selection interviews which may include a writing exercise and a brief short presentation. A three year DMV driving record printout (obtained within 30 days prior to interview date) will be required to be submitted to the Human Resources Department prior to interview. Note: DMV printouts obtained online ($2.00) are not official documents and will not be accepted in lieu of official printouts. Official printouts (H6) are issued by a Department of Motor Vehicles office at a cost of $5.00. Please refer to this link for information prior to obtaining your DMV printout: Driving Record Printouts.
- If you receive a conditional job offer, you will be required to submit conviction information.
(May include, but are not limited to, those duties listed below.)
- Schedules, plans and makes presentations related to waste reduction and recycling to schools, businesses and community groups; sets up meetings to identify appropriate methods and needs for outreach; develops presentation materials and displays; schedules and conducts tours of resource recovery facilities for various groups.
- Identifies creative and effective methods to assist businesses, schools and residents including multi-family complexes in identifying waste reduction and recycling opportunities; assists in identifying target businesses and groups for outreach efforts; assists in developing strategies for outreach to targeted groups; develops presentations and materials for outreach.
- May work with collections staff and Resource Recovery Facility staff to identify routes and customers with high potential for contamination in carts and containers.
- May conduct field inspections of customer carts and containers to identify contamination problems and improper use; maintains records and prepares notices and correspondence related to improper use; contacts customers in person, by phone or by sending information to educate them and change behaviors.
- Develops display materials for special events; assists in identifying potential locations for educational/informational displays on waste reduction and recycling; plans and prepares displays ensuring age and interest appropriateness; may staff display booths to answer questions and distribute information.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of a variety of written materials, including brochures, advertisements, surveys, newsletters, web pages, social media posting, reports, and correspondence; researches and writes outreach and promotional articles and press releases; distributes informational materials and educational brochures related to waste reduction and recycling to the public; assists in gathering information for, and writing portions of, grant applications.
- Provides clerical support; answers phones; responds to public inquiries; makes meeting arrangements; assists in the coordination of special events, including the scheduling of presenters.
- Provides direction, coordination and training to volunteers and interns.
- Assists with presentations to the Public Works Commission or City Council.
- May represent the Management Analyst - Waste Reduction at meetings.
Closing date and time: 6/21/2018 at 5:00 PM Pacific Time
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com