About Covanta: Covanta is a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Annually, Covanta’s modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity to power one million homes and recycle approximately 500,000 tons of metal. Through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta also provides comprehensive industrial material management services to companies seeking solutions to some of today’s most complex environmental challenges. For more information, visit www.covanta.com .
Information on our facilities is available at www.covanta.com/Covanta-Map . For career opportunities, visit www.covanta.com/Careers . Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We seek a dedicated individual who will be responsible for ensuring regulatory compliance and implementing and maintaining environmental management systems and programs at the Haverhill Facility. This position reports to the Facility Manager, and works closely with the Regional Landfill Manager and Regional Environmental Manager. The Environmental Specialist will supervise the Environmental Technician who will assist with walkdowns, data collection, special waste deliveries and other tasks as required.
- Ensure the Haverhill facility operates in accordance with all air, solid waste, and water permits, plus all relevant federal, state, and local regulations.
- Prepare, review, and submit compliance reports for the environmental programs above.
- Oversee and review data from the Continuous Emissions Monitoring System (CEMS).
- Conduct and/or oversee contractor testing for air emissions, ash and processing residues, and water (stormwater, potable water, wastewater).
- Identify, solve, and document environmental compliance issues that may arise at the Facility including determining any required reporting to agencies.
- Conduct and document periodic facility and landfill walkdowns and inspections for environmental compliance and distribute internally to the Operations Team.
- Work with Regional Landfill Manager for permitting of landfill projects
- Serve as primary liaison with regulatory authorities including U.S. EPA, MassDEP, and the Town of Haverhill during inspections, testing, compliance reporting, and/or permitting.
- Comply with Covanta’s corporate environmental procedures including inspections, quarterly meetings, and corporate audits.
- Take lead role in obtaining new permits or permit renewals for air, solid waste, water, landfill, and hazardous waste including negotiating permit conditions to maximize operating flexibility.
- Monitor regulatory changes affecting operations in the areas of responsibility, build relationships with regulatory agency personnel, and anticipate/track emerging trends.
- Manage the environmental budget and associated outside, environmental consultants, contractors, and/or testing firms. Coordinate their efforts to ensure budgets are met and accurate information is included in all reports to agencies.
- While infrequent, respond, investigate, document, and report to regulatory agencies (when warranted) any environmental incidents including air emission exceedances, landfill related incidents, oil or chemical spills, solid waste incidents, or abnormal water discharges.
- Improve existing environmental compliance programs, procedures and plans, and integrate environmental compliance into the Facility’s initiatives and efforts.
- Maintain key environmental records, reports, permits, and documents for the Facility File.
- Conduct annual environmental training with employees
- Conduct initial environmental training with new hires as needed
- Oversee special waste program
The successful candidate must have a Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Sciences, Engineering Technology, Engineering or equivalent field(s) from an accredited university/ college. Substitute experience (Power Plant/Industrial Operations, Military) might be considered, depending on the candidate.
- 3-8 years’ experience in the environmental permitting/compliance field, with a strong emphasis in Title V Air Quality Compliance.
- Some knowledge or experience with Power Plant operations or similar industrial, commercial, or military operations (boilers, etc.).
- Knowledge of air emissions reporting, monitoring and/or testing (stack testing).
- Ability to extract and analyze data via spreadsheet and/or database.
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Excel, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and technical writing.
- Self-starter, flexible, and adaptable Team Player.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com