Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook designs, builds, leases and operates the most innovative and efficient data centers in the world. Developing, operating and managing the data center infrastructure and facilities the "right" way is synonymous with ensuring high uptime, capacity availability, flexibility and capital and operational cost efficiency in a safe working environment. Facebook evaluates sites across the world for data center development, and is seeking an environmental expert to lead and manage environmental due diligence, including environmental permitting, for North America site selection efforts. This position will report directly to the Data Center Environmental Manager on the Site Selection team.
- Manage environmental due diligence activities across multiple development efforts throughout North America, including Phase I Environmental Site Assessments, noise studies, air permitting, water assessments, and biological and cultural resource evaluations.
- Scope, review findings, and provide direction to consultants and internal teams on environmental conditions and permitting.
- Lead environmental permitting and regulatory compliance efforts for site selection, including Section 404, Section 106 consultation, Title V air permits, and environmental impact studies. Understand, communicate, and align these approvals with Facebook development timeframes.
- Develop, summarize and communicate environmental obligations across multiple diverse Facebook teams, including design, construction, and operations teams.
- Provide environmental expertise to diverse internal teams and coordinate with other teams about relevant issues and requirements, including Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) teams where needed.
- Develop training and educational tools regarding environmental goals, compliance and awareness.
- Assist in facilitating the growth of the environmental program within Facebook Data Centers as the company continues to grow and build environmental excellence.
- Travel domestically and internationally as needed (up to 25%).
- Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years experience in environmental science, engineering, planning, or other related field
- Communication, organizational and program management experience
- Experience in environmental due diligence and pre-development efforts
- Data Management software experience
- Experience in managing multiple projects and coordinating with internal staff and external consultants, vendors and other stakeholders
- Master’s degree in environmental science, engineering, planning or other related field
- Experience with Title V air permitting and compliance
- Experience with GIS software