The Center for Biological Diversity's Oceans program seeks an experienced attorney to use cutting-edge legal approaches to resist attacks on our oceans and wildlife. Our team works to end offshore oil and gas activities, stop fisheries from harming endangered species, curb plastic pollution and safeguard marine life from ocean warming and acidification. The staff attorney will work as part of a team using law, science and advocacy toward reforming destructive practices that are imperiling our oceans.
- Litigate cases to gain results that will protect marine species and habitats;
- Develop cases and campaigns aimed to further the goals of the Center's oceans program;
- Advocate for administrative and legislative policies for marine conservation through scientific and legal comments, oral testimony, policy analysis, petitions for rulemaking, and effective communications;
- Media advocacy, including writing press releases, media outreach, and delivering effective statements to reporters;
- Engage the public and opinion leaders to protect the oceans through campaign activities such as public speaking, rallies, action alerts, opinion editorials and outreach.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Minimum two years' civil litigation experience, environmental law preferred
- Familiarity with environmental laws such as the Endangered Species Act, Clean Water Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Marine Mammal Protection Act
- Excellent writing, communication, research and oral advocacy skills
- Proven ability to develop cases and manage a full docket
- Experience planning and implementing environmental campaigns
- Strong work ethic and time-management skills
- Ability to work independently and as a part of an effective team
- Scientific literacy, background in marine or environmental science preferred
- A demonstrated commitment to environmental protection
- Paid generous medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match
- Relaxed work atmosphere
Please submit a cover letter, resume, references and a writing sample.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diersity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com