The Safety, Compliance and Sustainability Team has an immediate opening for an Environmental Compliance Engineer who will be responsible for working with a talented team that provides comprehensive guidance worldwide on Environmental and Sustainability issues related to Microsoft’s Surface, Xbox, wearable devices, and other product lines. Are you ready to join a dedicated compliance engineering organization in one of the world’s best software, consumer electronics and entertainment companies? Help define and drive internal compliance and sustainability best practices through managing environmental requirements for product packaging and batteries. This position will report to the WEEE Program Manager and is based in Redmond, WA.
The purpose of this position is to support the WEEE Program Manager in monitoring worldwide legislation for product packaging (including printed documentation), batteries, and waste electronics such as marking, labeling, chemical restrictions, eco-design and material use, transposing environmental requirements in specifications and communicate requirements to stakeholders across the hardware and packaging community organization. This position is critical to Microsoft in establishing a national and international reputation for its global hardware compliance and implementing our sustainability strategy.
- Maintain written environmental supplier specifications for product packaging and batteries including but not limited to marking, labeling, material use and restrictions, waste product and materials, and eco-design requirements
- Monitor worldwide environmental legislation and standards, analyzing the impact on product packaging and batteries
- Verify environmental requirements are implemented in product packaging and batteries for product development projects, ensuring the appropriate environmental markings are placed on the packaging art work in partnership with the Packaging and Content team
- Create and deliver training
- Communicate requirements to stakeholders across the hardware and packaging community
- Obtain required packaging, product and battery master data and create processes to ensure data represented in local tools is accurate
- Update tools with packaging, battery and waste labeling and marking regulatory requirements.
- Monitoring packaging for restricted substances through sample testing and audits
- Complete required country/state/province notifications, declarations and reports relating the environmental compliance for packaging and batteries.
- Maintain contracts with globally contracted WEEE, battery, packaging schemes and manage battery and packaging recycling fees and payment
- Issue PO’s and pay contracted WEEE, battery, packaging schemes
- Monitor, log and respond to consumer and customer questions concerning packaging and battery environmental requirements
- Attend industry meetings concerning requirements
- Work with product safety team to assure that safety-related handling and shipping regulations
- Network with stakeholders to continually improve processes and specifications
- Actively seek and create opportunities for synergies across stakeholder groups to drive solutions
- At least three years of relevant job experience and solid understanding of worldwide environmental regulations for product packaging, and batteries,
- Experience in compliance integration into packaging design and manufacturing environments
- Bachelor’s degree required. Chemistry, Engineering or Environmental Science desired. Other related subject matter expertise together with a good understanding of the IT and consumer electronics industries desired.
- Ability to deliver environmental compliance and awareness training
- Track record of being an enthusiastic and effective team player with experience of leading and influencing internal and external resources to ensure successful outcomes
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com