Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Associate Director of the Office for Sustainability (OFS) and the Assistant Director of HBS Sustainability & Energy Management, the HBS Sustainability Manager is an integral member of the HBS and OFS teams. The position will be responsible for initiating, implementing, and continually improving cutting-edge sustainability programs at HBS in coordination with senior leadership and faculty members, particularly members of the BEI (Business & Environment Initiative), which was founded in 2010 to serve as a hub for environmentally focused research, teaching, and discourse. The Manager will work with members of the HBS and University community to drive creation and implementation of initiatives and programs at HBS.
1. Develop and manage sustainability initiatives, programs, and activities
- Assist the HBS strategic planning team with long-term goal planning
- Identify annual objectives and develop program work-plans in partnership with the HBS Sustainability & Energy Management team and Facilities teams
- Actively support and leverage the ideas and energy of students and staff
- Envision, develop, implement and drive project plans from conception through implementation to achieve the goals, standards, and commitments as detailed in the University-wide Sustainability Plan on the HBS campus in addition to the HBS Sustainability Framework in collaboration with key stakeholders
- Plan and execute HBS campus-wide events
- Present to senior leaders and key stakeholders
2. Cultivate consensus through development and management of new and existing partnerships to institutionalize sustainability into HBS culture
- Identify and develop opportunities with faculty and students to use the campus as a “living laboratory” for testing and piloting research
- Leverage University faculty’s research and teaching to propel HU/HBS Sustainability Plan goals, standards and commitments on the HBS campus
- Foster relationships with departments across the university to further shared sustainability initiatives, especially GBS (Green Building Services)
- Staff and advise any sustainability related governance groups such as ESPN
- Negotiate and problem solve with external vendors and other external constituent relationships
- Manage the activities/events of the Green Team, SSAs (Student Sustainability Associates)--formerly the Green Living Program, the Executive Education Sustainability Program, the joint Operations and Restaurant Associates team and the formalized partnership with the Business and Environment Initiative (BEI)
3. Drive change management to contribute to the implementation of policies and standards that align with HBS strategic priorities
- Research best practices in sustainable development and corporate responsibility
- Conduct benchmarking and analysis of peer institutions and organizations
- Provides others with advanced content and subject matter expertise in the sustainability arena
- Set up mechanisms for cross fertilization of ideas
- Create new tools, resources and campaigns
- Establish a system for providing regular feedback and reporting through data tracking and analysis.
- Assess, analyze and evaluate various programs, campaigns and resources
4. Perform management and administrative duties to fulfill responsibilities
- Support the “One Harvard” mission by partnering with and leveraging HPAC and HBS communications channels to produce website content and engage the community through marketing and outreach materials.
- Manage project budget including forecasting expenses
- Hire, train and manage student interns/fellows, if needed
- Advise senior management on key administrative issues
5. Perform other duties and work on special projects as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in successful project plan development, management & implementation and progressive University administration management
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Demonstrated working knowledge of sustainability industry trends
- Excellent relationship building, interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills
- Proven ability to think critically, solve problems and conduct research and analysis
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a larger team
- Possess creativity, enthusiasm, high energy and adaptability to initiate new creative ideas and deliver results in constantly changing environment
- Demonstrated supervisory experience
- Knowledge of higher education/universities preferred
- Experience working in higher education/universities and with faculty and students preferred
- Requires some work outside of normal business hours (including but not limited to faculty and student meetings and events)
Technology Skills Required:
Proficiency in MS Office suite. An ability to learn Harvard systems and web software quickly is a requirement. Proficiency in Photoshop or other design software is a plus.
About the Harvard Office for Sustainability and Harvard Business School
Harvard University has a decades-long commitment to confronting the global challenges of climate change and sustainable development through its research, teaching, and institutional action. The Office for Sustainability (OFS) plays a pivotal role in bringing together students, faculty, and staff to use the campus as a living laboratory for piloting and proving solutions that enhance intergenerational well-being and lead to a fossil fuel-free future. Our efforts are driven by a University-wide Sustainability Plan and ambitious climate goals to be fossil fuel-free by 2050 and fossil fuel-neutral by 2026.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our team of passionate, dedicated, high-energy sustainability professionals working to change policies and behaviors at Harvard and beyond. The Office for Sustainability is a fast pasted, dynamic, quickly changing and growing organization and we look for talented, passionate individuals who thrive in this environment.
Visit the Sustainability at Harvard website, http://www.green.harvard.edu for more information.