The Nebraska National Forests and Grassland is advertising a Biological Sciences Technician position located at the Bessey Nursery in Halsey, NE. This position performs a variety of recurring and moderately complex duties in support of the production of plant material for reforestation and restoration projects.
For additional information about the duties of the position, please contact Richard Gilbert at (308) 533-8117 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The USDA Forest Service has legislative authority to recruit and fill Permanent (Career/Career-Conditional), Temporary, and Term Appointments under the USDA Demonstration Project. Under this authority, any U.S. citizen may apply.
Learn more about this agency
- Growing tree seedlings and other plants in containers in greenhouses and outdoors, preparation of seed, and media, planting seed, fertilizing, irrigating, controlling insects and diseases, maintaining proper environmental conditions in the greenhouse and bare root seed beds and maintaining accurate records for chemical applications, cultural treatments and seedling inventories.
- Serves as a crew member or crew lead during seeding operations.
- Serves as an inspector for contract work in the greenhouse area and bareroot fields for seedling extraction, grading and packing, weeding and bird predation.
- Applies pesticides according to pesticide label directions, applies fertilizers at the proper rate and formulation to maximize seedling growth to meet client’s specifications.
- Interprets soil and plant moisture data to determine irrigation needs and scheduling. Operates system wells to maintain pressure for irrigation in the greenhouses and in the bareroot seed beds.
- Operates a variety of greenhouse equipment, including pneumatic seeding machines, chemical injectors, irrigation booms, data recorders and computers. Operates tractors of various sizes, including large farm tractors, electric and propane powered forklifts, pallet jacks, and utility vehicles.
25% or less - Occasional travel to meetings and training.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com
And always apply early because employers may close the job listing early.
$33,394 to $33,394 per year. Pay scale & grade GS 05.