The Environmental, Health and Safety's Leaders primary objective is to develop, execute, and sustain the Argo Site’s strategic and tactical plan for all Environmental, Health, Safety, Process Safety, and Security matters.
The primary deliverable of this position is to create a culture of engagement, empowerment, and compliance through direction and oversight of all programs that support of the site’s primary goal of an incident-free workplace.
The EHS Leader plans and directs activities for the site’s EHS organization. The position provides leadership and technical expertise to meet Hexion Corporate and site expectations in environmental, health, safety, process safety, and security management systems. It also ensures compliance with policies and applicable regulations as an active member of the Site Leadership Team.
- Set tactical & strategic direction & provide leadership for the EHS department
- Actively participate on the Site Leadership Team; Participate on Corporate teams
- Keep abreast of Corporate EHS strategic initiatives & expectations & provide guidance & feedback regarding all Corporate initiatives & expectations
- Develop & lead site sustainability initiative
- Focal point for site for all community relations
Operational EHS Management:
- Establish & continually refine plant’s long term EHS strategy & improvement plan
- Establish EHS performance & cultural metrics to gauge current state and provide basis for continuous improvement measurement
- Manage site EHS budget & associated spending. Provide monthly spending analysis reports
- Participate in development of site’s capital expense spending budget & site plan
- Review all EHS capital expense requests for risk, cost & prioritization within overall plan & budget
- Review & enhance site’s incident investigation process. Ensure robust process is in place to fully determine root cause and corrective actions as necessary. Provide leadership & facilitation of incident investigations. Train others at the plant in the use of causal analysis tools and methods.
- Ensure EHS matters are fully addressed in plant PHA studies & participate in review of all PHA studies
- Provide oversight & management of site EHS, Security, and Process Safety related action items
- Ensure site compliance with all federal (EPA), State (Illinois IEPA), and local (MWRD) (COOK COUNTY) air, water, & waste regulations
- Ensure site compliance with OSHA s Occupational Safety and Health Standards, 29CFR1910 and 1926
- Responsible for overall site Process Safety Management process, ensuring all requirements are met per OSHA s 1910.119 Process Safety Management (PSM) standards & regulations
- Ensure management of change (MOC) requirements are met. Reviews all modifications & changes associated with MOC
- Review equipment designs, installations & modifications to ensure all EHS, security, and process safety requirements are addressed
- Be the focal point for site for all Governmental regulatory contacts & inquiries
Training & Development:
- Define & manage EHS training needs for all site associates & contractors. Ensures all training is completed according to established training plan and records are accurately maintained.
- Define & manage training needs for EHS personnel & develop an associated training plan
- Define & manage plant emergency preparedness activities.
- Serve as the plant’s IH coordinator that ensures required periodic monitoring programs are conducted.
- Participate in EHS professional organizations & network to stay abreast of best practices, emerging technology, & all regulatory changes
- Communicate with EHS professionals in other plants on a regular basis to share best practices & ensure consistency in practices
Auditing and Management Systems:
- Track & publish standardized EHS performance & cultural metrics on a routine basis consistent with company requirements & align EHS performance indicators with overall business key performance indicators. Identify & implement initiatives to drive continuous improvement
- Administer, plan, coordinate, and execute company adopted EHS management systems & ensure site complies & meets deadlines on all management systems
- Conduct periodic audits of plant EHS programs including contractor activities.
- 5 to 10 years’ experience as an EH&S professional, with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in both Environmental and Safety roles
- 2 to 5 years’ experience in a manufacturing/industrial environment
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of:
- EPA air, water, and waste regulations
- OSHA 29CFR1910 and 1926 regulations
- OSHA 29CFR1910.119 PSM regulations
- Ability to work in fast paced environment
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with all levels of the organization
- Ability to lead and influence project teams
- Passion for recognizing and leading positive change
- Aptitude to lead and make challenging decisions in any situation
- Must be willing to support community outreach and communication programs as necessary
- Must be available to responds to emergency situations
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing an Environmental compliance program in a chemical plant.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing an Occupational Safety compliance program in a chemical plant
- Familiar with standard chemical plant processes
- Working knowledge of SAP functionality
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement management systems and compliance programs.
- CSP and/or IH Certification
- Six Sigma Green Belt Certification or willingness to complete training
Bachelor of Science in Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com