Job Description: Senior Director, Environmental Compliance
Reporting to the EVP Quality Reliability and Sustainability, the Senior Director of Environmental Compliance is responsible for providing leadership and direction in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of worldwide environmental matters. The role is responsible for establishing the vision, strategy and execution of our environmental management systems and identifying and minimizing environmental risks and liabilities to ensure compliance with all applicable national and international laws and regulations. This position is the primary contact for Bloom Energy (BE) customers, environmental regulatory agencies and all other entities outside the company to lead environmental policy and direction and is the main contact to address all environmental questions and issues in both written and verbal situations. This role works collaboratively with Marketing, Sales, Operations, Service, Installations, Quality and Legal to provide uniform and consistent direction in support of Bloomâ€™s mission. The ideal candidate must have proven strong executive leadership skills, excellent working knowledge of the environmental and political landscape and strong fundamental engineering knowledge in chemical, mechanical and electrical engineering.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Provide overall leadership for BEâ€™s Environmental Compliance Program covering both US as well as international regulations. Track national and international environmental policy and develop strategies to influence areas relevant to Bloom.
- Develop and directs short and long term organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies and operational procedures; monitors and evaluates effectiveness, and effects changes required for continual improvement.
- Develop and foster strong relationships with BE customers as well as regulators at all levels of governmental agencies to ensure the continued effectiveness of environmental programs.
- Anticipate the potential for environmental risk and minimize the impact of new or changing environmental regulations by recommending actions to BE management and managing follow-on implementation.
- Provide hands on technical expertise to the Company on emerging environmental issues and new laws and on regulatory compliance issues including those involving contacts with outside entities such as regulatory agencies and environmental consultants.
- Leads and develops an effective Environmental Audit program worldwide to ensure compliance at customers, suppliers and BE obligated facilities. Audit and engage Engineering, Field Service and Installations team to assure designs and processes support and maintain environmentally sound compliance.
- Act as subject matter expert in support of customer sales engagements to include addressing Environmental questions including permits and compliance that might be included in the sale of the BE system. Continue this engagement with customers through product installation and field operation to manage on-going customer environmental inquiries throughout the life of the BE contract.
- Liaise with the EVP and General Counsel as well as the leaders of Installations and Product Support to proactively support their requests and maintain Legal records as needed to meet BE obligations to customers, suppliers and other agencies.
- Ensure all BE environmental permit for BE facilities and other BE obligations are up-to date and maintained properly.
- Develop and maintain a reporting process that establishes and maintains metrics and targets used to measure and communicate environmental performance to US Government, State Governments and International Agencies.
- Assist EVP Marketing and EVP of Sales in the development of marketing materials on Bloomâ€™s sustainability benefits including emissions reductions.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 15+ years professional experience; minimum 10 years relevant environmental experience
- Strong knowledge of local, state, and federal laws, ordinances, and regulations. Examples include The Clean Air Act (CAA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA), and Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA). Strong technical expertise in the area of compliance and experience working with regulators
- Excellent working knowledge of the environmental and political landscape and strong fundamental engineering knowledge in chemical, materiel science, mechanical and electrical engineering.Â (Advanced qualifications in one of the above preferred).
- Ability to manage complex projects that include both internal and external stakeholders, customers and regulators in a concise, efficient manner. Proven ability to break down complex technical issues, into actionable solutions, that customers can implement.
- Strong history of dedication and follow-thorough to meeting the expectations and requirements of all customers; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Excellent executive leadership skills, exceptional communication, written, verbal, and interpersonal skills. Make strategic well educated decisions based upon a mixture of data analysis, experience and judgment.Â Based on a proven track record, is sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Effectively cope with ambiguity and change; can make appropriate business decisions in an environment that is in a state of flux; embraces change to support company goals and objectives; learns quickly, adapts to organizational changes, designs and directs compliant workable business solutions in a changing regulatory environment
- Strong experience working with both Legal Counsel and International regulators as well as US Federal, State, County and City regulators
- Adheres to and promotes an appropriate set of core values and ethical conduct consistent with all laws and regulations
- Demonstrated ability to interface and work collaboratively across internal departments building strong and cooperative working relationships'
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
- Demonstrated strong project management skills.
- Ability to influence executives and key stakeholders on strategic decisions.
- Self-motivated and highly organized, thrives in a dynamic environment.
- Must have experience of addressing Media.
- International and domestic travel required.