Senior Officer, Green Growth Programming
Reporting to the Country Representative, the Senior Officer Green Growth Programming will play an important role in guiding, strengthening and supporting GGGI Senegal capacity and expertise in green growth programming, implementation of the country planning framework, business development, policy/research development and public engagement initiatives that the Organization will commit to, in its support to the Government of Senegal efforts to transition towards a new model of growth.
Based in Seoul, The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as "green growth", which targets key aspects of economic performance such a poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
GGGI has a diverse portfolio of programs in developing countries around the world. These in-country programs, together with global products and services, focus on delivering results through an integrated approach of evidence-based green growth planning and implementation aligned to countries’ development priorities. The organization also focuses on knowledge development and management activities which build a strong theoretical and empirical basis for green growth, while providing concrete options and guidance for policymakers; as well as building the conditions for public and private green infrastructure investments.
GGGI operations in Burkina Faso have started in 2018. Through the Cooperation Program to be developed through the Country Planning Framework, GGGI makes the commitments to accompany Burkina Faso into its transition towards green growth. The Senior Officer Green Growth Programming works closely with the Country Representative, other local staff and consultants to ensure the on-time and on-scope delivery of results as planned regarding the implementation of the cooperation program. S/he is in charge of developing substantive inputs and analyses to the development, delivery, and assessment of work programs and activities at country level; organizing program activities across green growth planning, capacity building and country specific knowledge development for effective result deliveries under biannual/annual program plans; maintaining effective program reporting and communication internally and externally in line with GGGI corporate policies, standards and protocols to achieve the Organization commitments to the Government of Burkina Faso.
The Senior Officer Green Growth Programming is responsible for the timely and quality delivery of the followings:
- Conduct the formulation of the Country Planning Framework to achieve green growth objectives in the country in alignment with national priorities by establishing common level understanding between GGGI and the Government of Burkina Faso in delivering a collectively endorsed country strategy on Green Growth vis-à-vis the Plan National de Developpement Economique et Social - PNDES, the NDC and other relevant national planning frameworks
- Explore and diversify new strategic business development partnerships, conducting stakeholders analysis needed for business plan and contributing to GGGI Burkina Faso grow as per the strategic orientations of the Country office.
- Apply institutional strategy (“GGGI Global Strategy”) and country cooperation program engagement (known as “Country Planning Framework”) to the design and development of yearly and biennium program plans and activities for the alignment with GGGI core values and corporate priorities
- Assess issues and opportunities within targeted sectors for development and formulation of projects within the context of the country program, and ensure result reporting of program activities internally and externally
- Implements specific programs or projects, including budget, project monitoring and evaluation
- Analyze dynamic contexts and evolving green growth needs & priorities of the country and integrate them into design and implementation of country program plans and activities
- Builds support and understanding working closely with national counterparts for application of green growth in development planning;
- Identify specific project initiatives where green growth can be most effectively illustrated;
- Analyze dynamic contexts and evolving green growth needs & priorities of the countries and integrate them into design and development of GGGI Capacity statements, Concept Notes and Proposals that align with national development priorities and can be promoted to the donor community
- Develop project models that align with national development priorities and can be promoted to the donor community
- Advise Country Team and Representative with evidence and data driven substantive inputs and analyses on program activity development, implementation and assessment
- Collaborate with other country teams, units and divisions of GGGI on identified joint activity opportunities to ensure integrated delivery as “One GGGI”
- Maintain active professional relations with partner governments and other key stakeholders to capture and integrate their changing green growth needs and manage “client” expectations.
- Promote green growth and the GGGI methodology with the donor community and other stakeholders;
- Advise GGGI on opportunities for engagement in the national context, demonstrating effective adaptation of the GGGI approach;
- Conduct the formulation of the Country Planning Framework and identify the green growth opportunities and potential of Burkina Faso
- Organize program activities including policy consultation and validation meetings & workshops, capacity building programs based on yearly/ biannual work programs and budget plans
- Identifies project delivery issues and ensures effective coordination of project activities and resources to ensure attainment of objectives against established timeframes.
- Develop project execution modality and documents across project management cycle per country.
- Develop result reporting of program activities and facilitate internal and external communications
- Capture lessons learned in project management to support refinement/improvement of existing policies and procedures.
- Develop, review and regularly update GGGI institutional donor opportunities mapping by theme, geographical coverage and priorities to explore new program and business opportunities and guide/help formulate, review and revise country/regional program business plans, as well as organizational strategies and priorities
- Represent where appropriate GGGI at relevant forums and networks and develop and maintain high quality working relationships with donors and counterparts from different part of GGGI and its partner organizations
- Master’s Degree in business administration, international relations or similar relevant to the position
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in international development
- Proven track record in grant acquisition and donor relationship management (from study, training and practical experience)
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills in English and French will be an asset
- Good familiarity, networking and working relationships with different donors and other partner organizations
- Demonstrated ability to review and synthesize information and produce appropriate documents, with a strong analytical background, coupled with exceptional strategic thinking skills
- Demonstrated understanding of the economic, social and environmental aspects relevant to green growth/ climate change programming in developing countries in general and Senegal in particular;
- Solid knowledge of Senegal and Burkina Faso development issues, trends, challenges and opportunities and implications to the country’s economic, sustainable and green growth context;
- Demonstrated ability in research and policy level analysis, and to review, synthesize information and produce quality reports;
- Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Power Point), MS Project and internet use
- Must be eligible to work in Senegal
- Able to work in a team environment, pitch in attitude a must
- Fluency in both spoken and written English and French is a requirement. Professional level of spoken and written French is required. Knowledge of a local language in Senegal would be an advantage.
- Able to think strategically and in close collaboration with others.
- Detail-oriented striving for quality and consistency in all outputs and communications.
- Able to perform analysis of management and administrative matters in tandem and under time constraints.
- Output-oriented, demonstrating creativity, innovation and an entrepreneurial drive.
- Highly-organized and able to effectively and efficiently multi-task and prioritize.
- Comfortable working both in a team and independently, pitch in attitude a must
- Able to support and collaborate with team members remotely (including but not limited to Headquarters staff)
- Understand and actively supports GGGI’s mission, vision and values.
- Promote an organizational culture of trust, transparency, respect and partnership.
- Process and share information easily and is excellent at problem solving.
- Manage emotions and stress positively, builds rapport and resolves conflict easily.