San Mateo County Community College District values the principles of diversity and equity. We provide our students with a rich and dynamic learning community that embraces differences, emphasizing collaboration and engaging students in and out of the classroom, encouraging them to realize their goals, and to become critical thinkers and socially responsible leaders.
This position is a “pool” position meaning that openings may or may not be currently available. The District maintains a “pool” of applications for positions which are needed on an ongoing basis at Cañada College, College of San Mateo, and Skyline College. The advantage of “pool” positions is when a position becomes available, the Dean may immediately begin screening applications from the available pool of applicants without having to post a position and wait while the position is being advertised. Your application for this position will be kept current for a period of three years.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties below are representative of the position and not intended to cover all of the duties performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the scope of work is similar, related, or a logical assignment.
1. Teach classes as assigned from the regular curriculum
2. Assist in curriculum assessment, revisions, and new course development
3. Consult with students during regularly scheduled office hours
4. Maintain expertise in current teaching methodologies and curricula
5. Perform other professional duties as required by contract and general institutional needs
• Possession of a Master’s degree or above in geology, geophysics, earth sciences, meteorology, oceanography, or paleontology; OR Bachelor’s degree in geology AND Master’s degree or above in geography, physics, or geochemistry; OR the equivalent (see below)
• Ability to communicate effectively and constructively with persons of diverse cultures, language groups, and abilities
Equivalence to Minimum Qualifications
For persons applying for this position based on Equivalence, please answer the supplemental question on the online application indicating one or more of the following:
The applicant possesses a degree(s) with similar content to those listed for the relevant discipline. The name of the degree is close to that specified on the Disciplines List but the degree either has a different title or area of expertise or the coursework is slightly different.
Academic Background Equivalence
Related to disciplines in which a Master’s Degree is not generally expected or available. The applicant must have completed at least 24 semester units of coursework in the academic field and must possess at least the equivalent level of achievement and the equivalent in breadth, depth of understanding, and rigor in each of the following:
i) a broad cultural education usually met by the general education requirements for any Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree, and
ii) a detailed study of the discipline in breadth, depth, and rigor, usually met by course work required for the degree major.
Professional Achievement Equivalence
The applicant must have completed the General Education requirements for that degree and show evidence of outstanding professional achievement and/or substantial training in the requested field. The applicant must submit substantial evidence, which demonstrates that his/her preparation, teaching experience, work experience, and ability are equivalent to those expected from a person who meets the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Ability to teach one or more of the following discipline areas:
2. Ability to work effectively and constructively with persons of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, including those with disabilities