Biological Science Technician

  • U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
  • Wake Atoll National Wildlife Refuge, Wake Island Airfield (AWK), Wake Island, USA
  • Mar 17, 2018
Full time Biology - Ecology Conservation/ Natural Resources Wetlands - Coastlines - Floodplains Wildlife - Endangered Species - Biodiversity

Job Description

Summary

This position is part of the Pacific Reefs National Wildlife Refuge Complex. As a Biological Science Technician you will be responsible for assisting in the planning and implementation of wildlife censuses and surveys.

Wake Atoll is where the majority of duties will be performed, but there is substantial travel. Although there will be flexibility, it's expected at least the first 4 months will be training and familiarization with the Integrated Natural Resources Management Plan. Once there is an approved project proposal and all required certifications have been completed, the initial year might look like this: October - November, at Wake Atoll; December - January, in Honolulu and annual leave; February - March on Wake Atoll; April, off island completing additional training; May - June, assist with expedition to Johnston Atoll; July, additional training; August - September, at Wake Atoll. The incumbent should be flexible for frequent travel as the opportunities arise. Training certification months vary. 

In addition to shown salary, 10.99% cost of living allowance and 14.01% post differential (totaling 25%) is authorized. See notes in "additional information" section of announcement.

This is a Term appointment, not-to-exceed 13 months, which can be extended for a total appointment of 4 years.

Learn more about this agency

Responsibilities

  • Assists in planning multifaceted wildlife studies by contributing ideas, determining research methods, establishing practical procedures for accomplishing and reporting the work and determining other needs, such as costs, equipment and personnel.
  • Monitors and assists in control of wildlife, plant disease outbreaks, pest plant control, mowing/seeding activities and vegetation removal.
  • Develops workplans and carries out removal of ironwoods at Wake Atoll in accordance with June 2015 Biological Control, Survey and Management Plan
  • Captures, applies visual and radio tags, and gathers physiological and spatial data on wildlife.
  • Monitors elements of the physical environment, such as temperature, precipitation, wind speed, and humidity
  • Develops databases and analyzes data using standard statistical methods and procedures in preparation of wildlife reports. Enters and retrieves data from the Geographic Information System and/or other information management systems.

Travel Required

50% or less - Frequent travel is reuired for this position.

Job Level

Entry-level  

Sector

Government- Federal

Salary

$42,462 to $55,199 per year. Pay scale & grade GS 7.