Performs complex management or oversight activities for the daily operations of Office of Environmental Quality. Promotes the City's commitment to sustainability initiatives and represents the City to the public on related matters, when needed. Develops and maintains a vision for internal and external sustainability programs in coordination with the City's established growth policies. Develops and implements short and long term strategic plans to achieve the vision. Recommends City policy and organizational changes needed to advance sustainability initiatives.
The successful candidate must also have an interest in increasing the visibility of City as a recognized leader in sustainability efforts. The position is subject to yearly goal setting and review.
- Oversees OEQ Sustainability, Outreach, and Training programs and staff, which currently consists of 4 FTE positions
- Designs and implements education and outreach programs for employees, businesses, and residents on best sustainability practices
- Manages content and strategy for the GreenDallas.net website and social media accounts
- Manages sustainability programs, including facilitating meetings, setting goals, recruiting partners, handling logistics, and evaluating progress
- Manages events put on by the Office of Environmental Quality and coordinates participation in other sustainability related events
- Creates presentations for staff and citizens on new programs, policies, or other sustainability efforts
- Showcases individuals, businesses, and projects for recognition of leadership in sustainability
- Demonstrates the ability to build internal and external partnerships
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing, with a diverse assortment of groups and individuals in a courteous, tactful, and professional manner
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, environmental or life science fields plus eight years' experience in six or more of the following environmental areas: ISO 14001 programs; compliance monitoring, inspection or auditing; compliance program development; training program planning/implementation; pollution prevention programs; coordinating special events involving public participation; public presentations; sustainability program development/monitoring; report writing; permit preparation; air emission inventory development; ground water/soil investigation and remediation; coordination with state and federal agencies; or management of technical environmental staff.
- Experience must have included budget management/forecasting.
- Requires effective oral and written communication skills, or similar software skills
- A valid driver's license and good driving record.
- Must have or be able to obtain a 40-hour certification AND a Registered Environmental Manager (REM) certification within six (6) months of hire.
- A Master's degree in specified fields will substitute for one year of the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to the operational unit or functional program and the principles and practices of public administration and management.
- Thorough knowledge of Environmental Management Systems, and environmental regulations and rules.
- Ability to manage unit and/or program to include devising solutions to administrative problems and planning, assigning, and/or supervising the work of others.
- Ability to develop and evaluate administrative policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work under limited direction with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with city and regulatory agency personnel.
- Provides timely and responsive service to OEQ customers (i.e., City departments, citizens, and regulatory agencies).
- Must have certification, registration, or license in a specialty area, e.g., 40-hr Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Training and attend 8-hour annual refresher yearly.
Closing date and time: 3/26/2018 at 11:59 PM Central Time
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com